AKG 702 - Where to buy at decent price?
Dec 25, 2008 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am about to take the AKG plunge wondering if there is any eBay sellers or any online store known to have them at good price. I am not willing to pay 400+$ for them as they are priced on most sites. Oh and if any of you bring up the 701 argument regarding they sound the same, I am allergic to white/HATE the iPod look it has.

Yes I could look for all the sponsored links but I am looking for a shortcut, I don't want to go through all of them. I made a few searches on the forum without relevant information.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 42
Dec 25, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should check northern sound and light. The price quote I got was ~$250 although that was quite a while back.

Unfortunately they are not shipping outside US.

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw, Headroom, I should have gone on this one at least, 309$ is not bad!

Anyone knows if this seller reputable: NEW AKG K702 Reference Headphones K 702 headphone - eBay (item 260330222100 end time Jan-08-09 21:35:19 PST). That seller seems to have an excellent rating and is claiming to be an AKG authorized seller.

Headroom seem to ship with Fedex to Canada and I vastly prefer USPS.

A lot of people purchase new HD580's from him a while back.(maybe a year or so) He seems to be well trusted around these parts. I was thinking of grabbing a pair from him as well. Looking forward to hear your impressions. Happy Holidays!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people purchase new HD580's from him a while back.(maybe a year or so) He seems to be well trusted around these parts. I was thinking of grabbing a pair from him as well. Looking forward to hear your impressions. Happy Holidays!
smily_headphones1.gif

Still looking around a bit and I will bite the bullet I think. Best wishes to you as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 42
Grey Massacre,
I just purchased a pair of 702's about two weeks ago from the same seller. Since I'm in the US, I received my pair in 2 days. I would highly recommend this seller. I'm throughly enjoying my new phones as I write this.

Happy Holidays,
Tom
atsmile.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw, Headroom, I should have gone on this one at least, 309$ is not bad!

Anyone knows if this seller reputable: NEW AKG K702 Reference Headphones K 702 headphone - eBay (item 260330222100 end time Jan-08-09 21:35:19 PST). That seller seems to have an excellent rating and is claiming to be an AKG authorized seller.

Headroom seem to ship with Fedex to Canada and I vastly prefer USPS.

I got mine from headroom, living in Canada. Ordered on monday, shipped from Montana to Ottawa in 2 days, got here xmas eve, its pretty fast.

Got an ouchy tax thing, idk how that worked, but it was 60 extra at the door. The full 13%

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 42
"Anyone knows if this seller reputable: NEW AKG K702 Reference Headphones K 702 headphone - eBay (item 260330222100 end time Jan-08-09 21:35:19 PST). That seller seems to have an excellent rating and is claiming to be an AKG authorized seller."

That's an excellent deal!
I love mine...I have burned them in for a little over 500 hrs. and they sound fantastic! Using a Doge 6210 to drive them...heaven!

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 42
Also, I was able to directly compare my 702's with another Head-Fi member's well broken in 701 and in both our opinions, the 702's had a more cohesive balanced sound, a tad warmer than the 701's. I know this opinion fly's in the face of others...but this is what WE heard.Could be the difference in cable between the two, but it did not take a great strain to hear this.We had both cans plugged into a Headroom maxxed Desktop amp so the A/B comparison was instant. Also, I had heard that the folks at Headroom had the same opinion

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 42
I am SO GLAD someone else has chimed in to agree. I have been reading so much saying that they are the same headphone, except color. I know from experience that something as simple as different connectors can change the sound, but it appears that the 702's have a slightly, ever so slightly thicker cable, and this too could be part of the equation. When Gary "TheSatelliteGuy", and I did our A/B, my first thought was: "I am glad I spent the extra money on the 702's" and his words were: "I need to sell these 701's and get the 702's".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back