AKG 702 HEADBAND REMOVAL-ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO IT?
Mar 10, 2010 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mannymax

Head-Fier
Hi guys, just a quick question, does anyone know how to remove the headband on an AKG 702? is there a way of loosening the rivets that hold the headband and how hard is it to assemble everything again?

Thanks in advance.

AKG 702 headband hater!!
angry_face.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 16
Yes, the search does.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the search does.

Can you just provide the link if you know how ?
This aint helping.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 16
Oh, great idea looking at the service manual.
I shall go and hunt for an english version one.
Thanks.

Well, these are my current k701, and they feel just perfect, but just wanted a "know how to" incase I intend to change them in the future =X
IMG_4194.jpg

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...d5815555d1.pdf

Good luck. Look up some K701 recabling guides on how to get down the first layer (not sure if actually required, service manual is really just a blow-up so.. eh). I'm assuming you want to remove the headband to replace it with the much more comfortable K601 one?
tongue.gif

Many thanks for the link ninkul, just had a look at the diagram and the rivet looks like a screw, just got to work out how to get the right and left tabs off without breaking anything lol, anyone on here got to this stage?

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 16
And i thought the part that writes "L" or "R" is detachable..
so its the button with the akg logo ?

Does anyone have a picture of how a k601 replacement headband looks like ?

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And i thought the part that writes "L" or "R" is detachable..
so its the button with the akg logo ?

well, i just gone and popped the right tab off, it is glued in, so nobody else try and pop one of these off, still cant get the headband off, dont want to break the bracket as well!!!!....desperate men lead to desperate measures lol

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for the link ninkul, just had a look at the diagram and the rivet looks like a screw, just got to work out how to get the right and left tabs off without breaking anything lol, anyone on here got to this stage?

I've completely dissected my K701's to recable them. It's faily easy. Start by twisting the metal grill counterclockwize to release the tabs that hold it in place. I used a pair of pointed needle nose to grip into the grill and give it a twist. Be careful here as you can bugger up the grill. Once grill is removed, there's 2 little phillips screws that hold the white cap in place. Remove screws, then pry out white cap. You'll have to release the cap where it snaps onto headband bars. Once white cap is removed, there's a big phillips screw that holds the headband assembly to the earcup. Remove screw and headband comes off. Don't worry, nothing will spring loose on you and go flying. It just comes off with no worries. Hope this helps!
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 16
Then what about thinking of ways to get rid of the glue ?
We can use the heat gun and melt the glue..
but the other parts might melt/disfigure before the glue melts.. >.<

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 16
Uh, Thought you wanted to remove complete head band assembly
angry_face.gif
Sorry, didn't understand you were wanting to just remove the leather part. My bad.... Not sure how to just remove the leather piece.
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then what about thinking of ways to get rid of the glue ?
We can use the heat gun and melt the glue..
but the other parts might melt/disfigure before the glue melts.. >.<

well, i think audionut has answered our question, cheers, the whole assembly has to come out, would imagine if you ordered a k601 headband, it would come with the silver bits attached to the leather headband, logical thinking about it.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, just a quick question, does anyone know how to remove the headband on an AKG 702? is there a way of loosening the rivets that hold the headband and how hard is it to assemble everything again?

Thanks in advance.

AKG 702 headband hater!!
angry_face.gif

if you have comfort issues, this is how i solved the issue for myself.

i have been sitting here with k701 on my head since the past two hours and no discomfort or pain.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...-issue-476740/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back