AKG 702 burn/break-in OK with just iPod?
Nov 27, 2009 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

urbo73

New Head-Fier
I got a new pair of AKG 702s 2 days ago, and am in the process of burning/breaking them in. I have a Benchmark DAC1 HDR that I use to listen to music with, but it's easier for me to leave them connected to my iPod during the day while I'm at work for burn/break-in purpopses. This way I can hide them somewhere in the house where they won't make any noise.

Now is this OK? Obviously they sound a lot better amped through the DAC1, but does it matter if I just play music over the iPod for the burn/break-in prupose? They sound loud enough at about 80% volume on the iPod, so I would think that's OK. Just want to check. I have no idea what burn in will do, but am doing it anyway. No idea what to expect once past 100, 200, etc. hours.

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't know much about burn-in, but it shouldn't matter if the volume is loud enough. Just to be safe, I would switch between the 2 just in case.

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 6
I've wondered about this, too. Though an iPod may be able to play the K701 to loud volumes, it's probably not moving the drivers as fully as an amp would. So it might sound loud, but it's probably mostly treble and mids that's coming out--but lacking in bass, so the bass wouldn't be developing much from the burn-in

Take this with a grain of salt; I still don't know much. I just read up here a lot. Maybe an elder will come and explain things better.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Some don't believe in burn-in at all. Some do. Why not just listen to music on them until you feel they're "burnt-in?" That way, you get the best of both worlds!

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just listen to music on them until you feel they're "burnt-in?" That way, you get the best of both worlds!

That's what I do! Everyone has their own burn in rituals (or none at all). Do whatever you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back