AKG 702 -> Apogee Duet? -> Headphone amp?
Jul 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AronBas

New Head-Fier
The AKGs are en route.

I have an apogee duet.

Any suggestions for a headphone amp ?

Application is producing/mixing.

I should add that I have used the search button
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 8
Well it will be my first headphone amp so I guess it is most probably wise not to spend too much. Let's say between 300 - 500 Euros.

I did have my ears originally on a Phonitor and a HD 800 but i managed to suppress the gear lust
tongue_smile.gif

Thank you

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 8
I know I'm a X-CanV8P fan boy, but this amp mates extremely well with the K701. It gives the K701 about 600mW of power, that's 3x the normal amount. As a result you get a very full sound with great space and air along with deep bass. The sound also smooths out and still retains all it's detail.

Another good amp is the CIAudio VHP-2 and gives the K701 all the current it needs.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Super thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The AKGs arrived today and have to say even with just the Duet I am already happy. Once they burn in and I get an amp I wont know what I am going to do with myself. LOL

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 8
congrats! I think you got a great production/ mixing set-up there. I do think a quality amp will take it a step above. Even the amp in the compass beats out the apogee amp with my sennheisers. Id say the DAC in the apogee is quite a bit better than the compass. But if portability was an issue I certainly would not lose sleep over using the apogee on its own. Do you use LOGIC?

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 8
HI,

Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

I use Cubase and Ableton. I do feel the the HP amp needs a bit more guts but tbh it sounds fine for now. Just got to wait for the Headphones to burn in and then I may start looking for an amp.

Thanks again to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back