AKG 701's or HD600/650's for use with Dolby Headphone processing?
Aug 7, 2008 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AlexBPM

New Head-Fier
Long time AVS forum member, but new to head-fi. Killer forum! I'll jump right into my question. I have a Denon AVR-5308ci reference receiver on order with built in dolby headphone processing. While this unit has top notch DAC's and performance in almost every category, it's headphone output and dolby headphone performance remain a mystery. There simply aren't any reviews that go into headphone performance. But I will know soon enough.

I'd like a pair of headphones for watching DVD's and Blu-Ray's and some 360/PS3 gaming. After reading many many reviews on here, I've narrowed it down to the AKG701's or the HD600/650's.

Here are my requirements in order of importance,

1st) Soundstage. I want a huge soundfield so it doesn't feel like I'm trapped in my head. I want to simulate the feeling of space, depth and width. As close to a real 5.1 home theater as possible. With wired headphones of course.

2nd) Bass performance. I wouldn't mind some bottom end for those demanding action flicks. I like things that go BOOM.
very_evil_smiley.gif

3rd) Efficiency. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that Denon didn't cut corners with Headphone Performance with their flagship receiver. I dont want to buy a headphone amp unless I HAVE to.

If the Denon shows up and Dolby Headphone processing sucks, I'm open to just watching my movies in stereo. So, K701's or HD600/650's? Thanks!

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 9
imo... just factor out the dubly (spinal tap reference tee hee) requirement. Now ask the question.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: okay 701's will give you more out-of-head experience, but you need gear that will drive them well--they are not for everyone.

if you haven't search threads for comparison of these headphones; plenty out there. if you want a fantastic surround sound experience search for Smyth Research.

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 9
There are many threads addressing SQ comparisons between the 701's and Sens, but all seem to focus on music performance. I'm specifically wanting to know how they compare in movie performance (downconverted 5.1, DTS-MA,TrueHD etc) using dolby headphone. But I'll check out Smyth Research thanks!

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexBPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long time AVS forum member, but new to head-fi. Killer forum! I'll jump right into my question. I have a Denon AVR-5308ci reference receiver on order with built in dolby headphone processing. While this unit has top notch DAC's and performance in almost every category, it's headphone output and dolby headphone performance remain a mystery. There simply aren't any reviews that go into headphone performance. But I will know soon enough.

I'd like a pair of headphones for watching DVD's and Blu-Ray's and some 360/PS3 gaming. After reading many many reviews on here, I've narrowed it down to the AKG701's or the HD600/650's.

Here are my requirements in order of importance,

1st) Soundstage. I want a huge soundfield so it doesn't feel like I'm trapped in my head. I want to simulate the feeling of space, depth and width. As close to a real 5.1 home theater as possible. With wired headphones of course.

2nd) Bass performance. I wouldn't mind some bottom end for those demanding action flicks. I like things that go BOOM.
very_evil_smiley.gif

3rd) Efficiency. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that Denon didn't cut corners with Headphone Performance with their flagship receiver. I dont want to buy a headphone amp unless I HAVE to.

If the Denon shows up and Dolby Headphone processing sucks, I'm open to just watching my movies in stereo. So, K701's or HD600/650's? Thanks!

2) Don't expect the ultimate in low-bass from headphones, it just won't happen. You may want to consider some sort of a tactile sub for use with movies, games, ect. Like Aura's Bass Shakers....et al.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, think sound think fidelity, dynamics, resolution...blah blah...whether its music or "film" its all the same
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha.. well while I appreciate your input, I respectfully disagree. Application is paramount to speaker selection. Some speakers (and headphones are speakers) do better with movies than they do with music. As a home theater installer, if a customer was looking for dedicated HT speakers, I would probably recommend Def Tech or Klipsch over say... Vienna Acoustics or Martin Logan.
So while flowery audio jargon is great for choosing the right set, I'm sure one headphone probably has better imaging/soundstage for Dolby Headphone and movies over the other. At least I hope so
redface.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Haha.. well while I appreciate your input, I respectfully disagree. Application is paramount to speaker selection. Some speakers (and headphones are speakers) do better with movies than they do with music. As a home theater installer, if a customer was looking for dedicated HT speakers, I would probably recommend Def Tech or Klipsch over say... Vienna Acoustics or Martin Logan.
So while flowery audio jargon is great for choosing the right set, I'm sure one headphone probably has better imaging/soundstage for Dolby Headphone and movies over the other. At least I hope so
redface.gif

you are very polite. i hate polite!
smily_headphones1.gif

flowery jargon serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever (hence my blah blah)

I disagree with with your premise and your speaker installation analogy which seems to be imposing your taste on a specific application. If I have misinterpreted I apologize.

It really boils down to what the OP prefers.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 9
I have an Sennheiser hd600 and use them frequently for watching dvds and gaming and they really do sound very good even from cheap Pioneer VSX-416 receiver which I use for movies and games only. It has headphone surround but stereo is almost the same, althougt never really critically compared just tested back and forth while wacthing some of my movies, maybe it gets those panning sounds better.

1)Maybe the coming smyth audio prosessor or something similar really gets the soundstage out from head but I`m happy even without. Some kind of head tracker would be good though to geep sounds goming from right directions.

2)Bass is good but maybe a some kind of shaker would be great for getting the fysical impact.

3)Probably good enough, you have to test it yourself.

You sould test all three your self to hear the sonical differences...

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Headphones like the HD6x0 and Kx01 are supposed to do that when listening to stereo. I prefer AKG's design for what that's worth. There are also other manufacturers worth considering. No headphone will sound like a real 5.1 set though.
Dolby Headphone will also take the sounds out of your head. It will make just about any decent headphone sound more like a 5.1 set than fancy headphones but it will also degrade the sound and you're not going to get a convincing imitation of a real 5.1 set either.
I think that mixing the two (fancy large headphone + Dolby Headphone) is not the most optimal combination although it is indeed going to make everything sound distant if that's what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back