AKG 701 unamped?
Apr 4, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was replying to the original post, which if you noticed, had a wording that specifically implied that he was contemplating the purchase of the K701 solely based on what he was reading on the forum, and not because of any existing audiophile tendencies. There's a very big trap here on Head-Fi that I think a lot of people don't realize. Ranting about certain headphones day in day out can and will cause "bystanders" to buy them without a conscious decision on whether that headphone is well-suited for their application.

QFT: AKGs in particular need an amp and good source to sound decent. AKGs are one of the worst headphones I've heard unamped. They sound like the music is in the next room or something. For the k701 fans....do you want a n00b to pick up a k701, be totally unimpressed with them and be turned off to AKG forever?

For good quality headphones that don't need as much amping, I'd look at the HD595, A900, DT770 or DT880. These are considered good gaming headphones as well as music headphones. A lot of people do start off with the HD595 before upgrading to the k701...so that would be my #1 vote for the first headphone to venture with.

Then if you want to enter the world of high end audio, that is the time to look at the more expensive headphones: one of the reasons they're more expensive is that they like higher end sources.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #32 of 43
Keep in mind that all the mainstream kinda phones are designed to sound good right out of the phone jack of your receiver. People using headphone amps are a rare and strange species and probably not even mentioned in the customer requirement specification of the manufacturers.
Just because an external amp might give some improvement, doesn't mean it sounds crappy whithout.
Pure Head-Fi myth.
What really sounds crappy is a crappy phone.
Nonetheless, be sure the dead neutral sound of the 701 is what you really want.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 43
There are better more satisfying choices to be made for the uninitiated on a limited budjet. This is apparent to those of us who, once hearing the 701 well amped then plug them into a PA2V2 or out of a shuffle or DAP IME.
So this is where WE would be calling its untaped potential unacceptable and perhaps then envision a better can for that application more fully driven and more satisfying.

Even a great HP without the support of carefully matched downstream components and source material to be fed, can very well be a waste of money IMO...

The K-701 is a superior phone, however totally unsatisfying out of my Shuffle vs the Grado RS-2 for instance, IME recently......

Hope this helps in your decision~

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT: AKGs in particular need an amp and good source to sound decent. AKGs are one of the worst headphones I've heard unamped. They sound like the music is in the next room or something. For the k701 fans....do you want a n00b to pick up a k701, be totally unimpressed with them and be turned off to AKG forever?

For good quality headphones that don't need as much amping, I'd look at the HD595, A900, DT770 or DT880. These are considered good gaming headphones as well as music headphones. A lot of people do start off with the HD595 before upgrading to the k701...so that would be my #1 vote for the first headphone to venture with.

Then if you want to enter the world of high end audio, that is the time to look at the more expensive headphones: one of the reasons they're more expensive is that they like higher end sources.

I think DT880 don't sound too good without an amp either....

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was replying to the original post, which if you noticed, had a wording that specifically implied that he was contemplating the purchase of the K701 solely based on what he was reading on the forum, and not because of any existing audiophile tendencies. There's a very big trap here on Head-Fi that I think a lot of people don't realize. Ranting about certain headphones day in day out can and will cause "bystanders" to buy them without a conscious decision on whether that headphone is well-suited for their application.

I apologize if I came on too strongly. Personally, I wished I had listened to forum recommendations or done more research before I bought a plethora of cheap phones. I would have saved a lot of money and time if I had jumped to something like the 501 or 701 immediately. I'm also in the camp that believes phones should always come first. To be honest, I don't hear that much of a difference from my computer's headphone out vs. my dac/amp to my K501s. MUCH less difference than say, between a $100 and $200 phone.

Besides, isn't everyone here because they're an audiophile or want to be one? If he can afford the best, better that than time wasted upgrading trying to find his sound.
lambda.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An unamped K701 is a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

x2.

short and to the point.

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #37 of 43
IMO first you must determine if you like the "house sound" of a brand of headphones and its type (open, closed, etc). I like the AKG sound. The k701, unamped, out of my macbook playing lossless or high bitrate classical mp3s is absolutely fine, a real pleasure in fact. I haven't heard it through a dedicated amp (other than a mixing board a few times), but if an amp improves what I've already heard then...sweeeeeeet!

I agree with the poster who wrote that you should get the "best" you can afford. In my various equipment binges, I've often economized but, due to dissatisfaction with the gear and the search for alternatives, I end up spending more than it would've cost to get the best to begin with. I'm sure many people here can relate to that.

Recommendation: buy them used or from a retailer that takes returns. If you like what you hear, that's all that matters.

Apr 4, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO first you must determine if you like the "house sound" of a brand of headphones and its type (open, closed, etc). I like the AKG sound. The k701, unamped, out of my macbook playing lossless or high bitrate classical mp3s is absolutely fine, a real pleasure in fact. I haven't heard it through a dedicated amp (other than a mixing board a few times), but if an amp improves what I've already heard then...sweeeeeeet!

I agree with the poster who wrote that you should get the "best" you can afford. In my various equipment binges, I've often economized but, due to dissatisfaction with the gear and the search for alternatives, I end up spending more than it would've cost to get the best to begin with. I'm sure many people here can relate to that.

Recommendation: buy them used or from a retailer that takes returns. If you like what you hear, that's all that matters.

All VALID counterpoints! And if the OP is more inclined to your point of view, indeed try them out with a 30 day return policy; Or used from the F/S subforum for very loss. They will last you 25 years of use! Pleanty of time to upgrade components in the future ;-}

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #40 of 43
I don't know why the potential of the headphones is so important. Similarly, I don't agree that it is a waste of money to get a nice set of headphones without getting a set of dedicated equipment to go with them. Of course they will sound better with an amp, but that doesn't mean that the OP wouldn't enjoy them without an amp. If the OP likes the AKG sound, then I would get the 701s and use them without an amp (you can always consider adding one later, even if it is an inexpensive used model under $100). I should note that this is based on my experience with Grados and I don't know if the AKGs sound especially bad without an amp, but the report from oxymoron suggests otherwise.

I think in the long run, it makes more sense to get a set of headphones you really like instead of trading and upgrading constantly. I suspect that the majority of headphone users, even for the high end Sennheiser and AKG models, don't use dedicated amps and are happy with the sound.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #41 of 43
Do what im doing, get a K601 and with the money you save buy an amp.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11
I don't know what the logic here is, but I have to disagree strongly with you ASR. Saying that a particular phone isn't worth using because the downstream equipment is not as good is not a valid reason for not owning them. It would be the equivalent of saying you won't notice the difference between a BMW M5 and a Ford Focus because you can't afford 93 octane gas and Euro-tires. Even with 5 year old Good Years and 87 octane gas a BMW M5 will be completely different from a Ford Focus, and will add the appropriate amount of enjoyment over the Focus despite the fact that it's not running at 100%.

Saying an unamped K701 with a bad source is equivalent to a HD497 or something is ludicrous. I enjoy my K501's out of my nice DAC and amp but its sound signature is still basically the same straight out of an iPod, which is better than the SR60, HD497, or any phone under $100 for that matter.

I think it's pretty pretentious to suggest that only good equipment will work with good phones. The fact of the matter is, phones account for 90% or more of the audio quality, and unless the OP is listening to 32kbps stuff recorded in the 30s, I see no reason for him not to buy a damn good phone to enjoy his music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by quattro98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why the potential of the headphones is so important. Similarly, I don't agree that it is a waste of money to get a nice set of headphones without getting a set of dedicated equipment to go with them. Of course they will sound better with an amp, but that doesn't mean that the OP wouldn't enjoy them without an amp. If the OP likes the AKG sound, then I would get the 701s and use them without an amp (you can always consider adding one later, even if it is an inexpensive used model under $100). I should note that this is based on my experience with Grados and I don't know if the AKGs sound especially bad without an amp, but the report from oxymoron suggests otherwise.

I think in the long run, it makes more sense to get a set of headphones you really like instead of trading and upgrading constantly. I suspect that the majority of headphone users, even for the high end Sennheiser and AKG models, don't use dedicated amps and are happy with the sound.

A very interesting thread, in all. I liked these posts the best.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #43 of 43
lol "unless the OP is listening to 32 kbps stuff recorded in the 30s"

I like that. I need to get me some of those files

Users who are viewing this thread

Back