AKG 701 unamped?
Mar 9, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 43
They will work fine without an amp, but the sound quality will increase by a tenfold with a decent amplifier. I'm very fond of how they sound with my Little-Dot II++.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 43
What will you be using to drive them? A computer sound card? A portable MP3 player?

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 43
Not so much, you will be doing yourself a disservice. Even a cheap $100 porta would be better.

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 43
I own a pair of k701's and a headfive and its true it sounds a lot better with an amp, although i wouldnt worry against buying a pair if your planning on getting an amp down the line. I honestly think they will still sound better than any other headphone you've plugged into your (computer, ipod, whatever it is your using). I tried comparing my k701 directly out of an ipod (lossless compression) than through my headfive (take into account my (instert bad word) xbox 360 as source) it still sounded impressive coming straight out of my ipod.

wow you know you swear to easily when your suprised something in your post was filtered and you couldnt recall what it was at first.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by deiexmachinis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people rave about these cans, and I was considering getting a pair, but I don't own an amp. Is SQ still good by itself, or will an amp be necessary ?

The 701s really are fantastic headphones, buy them! Almost anything can drive them to moderate levels. My vintage Sony Portable Compact Disc Players drive my 701s to moderate levels without audible distortion, but they're known to have better amps than many modern MP3 players. They'll sound great out of a vintage system's headphone amp. Buy them and let us know what you think.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 43
I'd suggest you amp them. If you are not willing to purchase an amp you could get better results with other phones, cheaper. They do sound good unamped, but they hold MUCH of the potential back, as others have said.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest you amp them. If you are not willing to purchase an amp you could get better results with other phones, cheaper. They do sound good unamped, but they hold MUCH of the potential back, as others have said.

Do what "Gaso" says. Buy some crappy headphones and and a $1200 headphone amp. Don't listen to me. And whatever you do, recable those crappy cans, but then you have to hit them with pink noise for two years before you can put them on your head. Then start "rolling" your tubes...

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #12 of 43
I think I'm starting to realize a bad trend that's been going on within Head-Fi. With all the discussion about the K701 both good and bad, newbies read all the raving (and ranting), and think they have to get those just because everyone is talking about them, without giving any thought of the scale of the headphones in question.

The K701 is a top-class audiophile-grade headphone. I don't think anyone here will dissent that. I don't think anyone will dissent either that trying to install the K701 on a computer-based setup, without an amp, on music encoded at unknown rates, is an insult to the K701. This headphone deserves its place in the headphone hi-fi market, and is definitely not something that was built with computer applications in mind.

I'd suggest to the OP to look into alternative headphones that ARE designed for computer-based applications, and actually make sense to use. Also you might want to run over to something more like SharkyForums, lest the crazily addicted audiophiles here start talking you into exoticly-named tube amps and tell you that you "need" an external DAC, because you don't. Your wallet and sanity will thank you.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 43
That's very good advice from ASR. Pick a pair of headphones in line with what it is to be used for:

EG - I am perfectly happy with a cheap Sennheiser HD497 for my PC out of a Yamaha receiver - Good bass and imaging for shooters, plenty good enough for music.

I use the K701 + Corda Aria for music only - and wouldn't imagine using it for games. The MS1s I found to be pretty lousy with games as well...

But back to the topic: K701 absolutely screams to be amped properly. You'll only know when you listen to one amped/unamped. And sometimes, just knowing that it sounds like it should, is enough to warrant that extra purchase...

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #14 of 43
They didnt do it with amp for me, so it is really hard to imaging without
blink.gif

Tubes, thats what they need, power and warmth
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back