AKG-701 (still avail and "expensive", but why?)
Jun 24, 2020 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

alphaman

Formerly known as headfone
The K-701's are controversial cans. And probably the most controversial of the classic triumvirate: dt880, hd-600/50, k-701.
As I and others have pointed out in the past, they need quite a lot of burn-in. So many just given up on them early; even when burned in, they can still sound quite puny and anemic.
Anyway ... given the low-cost options from Massdrop offering the AKG 7xx, and Senn 6xx, as well as under-$200 Amazon price of the dt900 600-ohm, I was surprised to see the K-701s STILL for sale on Amazon ... and at an "expensive" $350.00/pair.
Given all the new cans on the market today, including high-value ones from China, are the k-701's still "desirable".

FYI: I own a pair of the made-in Austria-variety....and have for 14 years! I'll hold off on my experience with them until this thread accumulates some feedback :wink:

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Are the current K701s made in China or Europe?

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 5
The K-701's are controversial cans. And probably the most controversial of the classic triumvirate: dt880, hd-600/50, k-701.
As I and others have pointed out in the past, they need quite a lot of burn-in. So many just given up on them early; even when burned in, they can still sound quite puny and anemic.
Anyway ... given the low-cost options from Massdrop offering the AKG 7xx, and Senn 6xx, as well as under-$200 Amazon price of the dt900 600-ohm, I was surprised to see the K-701s STILL for sale on Amazon ... and at an "expensive" $350.00/pair.
Given all the new cans on the market today, including high-value ones from China, are the k-701's still "desirable".

FYI: I own a pair of the made-in Austria-variety....and have for 14 years! I'll hold off on my experience with them until this thread accumulates some feedback :wink:

I was just looking at Amazon and saw them selling New for $196
from, a third party seller.

That, IMO, is about what they're worth.
I've always enjoyed their huge soundstage
in depth and width.
High end is clean and not overly bright and
the mids are more than OK.

They're also very comfortable.
Sure, bass is a bit light, but it's taut and there,
especially when one uses an appropriate sized amp.
Personally like them more than the Senn 6-whatever,
though to me the Beyer 880 are a better listen and
just as comfortable.

I just bought (another) set of the K701's a couple of
months ago. They seem to be made better than the
made in china set I had about a year ago.

Anyway...

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 5
So I see, good catch

The set shown in the ad lacks the infamous "bumps"
which were present on the Austrian made version
(to the chagrin of many)

to me they sure look like the current Chinese version
though there's no way to be certain, of course.

Another thing is in the "fine print", which indicates that
the K701's are currently out of stock, and will ship once
they come into stock

Generally, when I'm buying something, I like to know
that it's physically in stock and available for delivery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back