AKG 701 or Beyer DT 990? Need some advice
Mar 3, 2007 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

exec_

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

First, here's a short version for people who don't like reading
tongue.gif

AKG 701 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 (2005)? Which one I should buy? Advantages/disadvantages of both?

And here the long story:

Well, as the title of the thread already said, I need some advice making a decision between these two cans. I was looking for the "perfect" cans for a while now. During the time, I've joined head-fi and I think, this is just the right place to ask such a question.
wink.gif

At the moment I mainly use a cowon iAudio X5L DAP with my CX300 IEMs. Favorite music: everything from old school rock up to norse black metal; all lossless encoded via FLAC.
I've also purchased a pocket amplifier (PA2V2) to be well prepared for "big" headphones.

While reading this forums and looking at some other places on the web, I've narrowed it down to these two:
Beyerdynamic DT990 (version 2005)
AKG 701

I've read a lot about these two, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find a dealer where I can listen to one of these cans. After some research I was already tending to the 990s, but then I had the chance to listen to is the AKG 601 and this was really impressing. Very good, crystal clear sound and also very comfy. So now I'm a bit confused...

Due to this I now need some advice from pepole, who possibly know both the 990s and 701s. Can you give me some advice?

If the 990s are the cans to choose, what version I should take: the standard with 250 ohm or the 32 ohm version? Are there any differences in sound?

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Yeah, I know: the real head-fi style would be to get them both.
icon10.gif
But at the moment, there's only buget for one...

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 13
I'v never heard the 990s, but I owned the older 880s, k701s, annd k601s all at the same time. I preferred both AKGs to the 880s which sounded a bit synthesized or artificial compared to the natural sound of the AKGs. The 701 is somewhat similar to the 601, but wins hands down in instrument separation and resolution - it's a totally different presentation and listening experience. My vote is by both from a place with a good return policy then return 1 or sell it on here.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nm2285 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'v never heard the 990s, but I owned the older 880s, k701s, annd k601s all at the same time. I preferred both AKGs to the 880s which sounded a bit synthesized or artificial compared to the natural sound of the AKGs.

funny, most people seem to say the AKGs 'color' the sound as compared to the 990.

But to be fair i have 90's model 990s and never heard a k701 - but i have lesser AKGs.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 13
nm2285 has the same thoughts for the 880 as I do for the 990. Very artificial. My k501s are definitely more realistic. But it depends on what you like. I can see why people would like the Beyer sound, but I don't think its for me.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 13
I have listened to both and own the other one.

It is really really a matter of taste, i.e. really subjective issue.

So, comes down to matching with your preferences and your gear.

They are both great cans, (and I want to own them both
wink.gif
) and unless you know exactly what kind of sound you are searching, you will be satisfied either of 'em.

990s has bumbs in both ends and K701 are more balanced. Cant say which one is "better" or "right". No one can, except you in this case.

IMHO, K701s are a safer choise for a "blind" purchase. It will be bigger chance for you to be satisfied with K701 than with 990s. 990s has more unique sound, more risk to be unsatisfied...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 13
Hey, the more I read, the more I get confused...
blink.gif

The real problem is, that everybody has a different taste and excpects other things from headphones. I've found out, that the 701s should be very "analytical", they don't emphasis mids, heights or bass. Perhaps you can listen to music as it is supposed to be. Other people call something like that "boring".
On the other hand, the 990s are not so much analytical, but many people say, that it is more fun to listen to these cans.

And, as I think at the moment, fun is the thing I expect most of the headphones I'm gonna buy. Also very important for me: bass. I'm not a real "bass-head", but it definitively must be present to a certain degree.

So in this very minute I'm again more on the 990s side. But the decision is still to be made...

Can you agree/disagree with these thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nm2285 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote is by both from a place with a good return policy then return 1 or sell it on here.

I've heard, that especially the 701s need a massive amount of time for burn-in, they seem to sound very disappointing out-of-the-box. So even if I buy them both, I don't think that I can push these cans to the limit in a few days only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried any Grado's?

Sorry, but circumaural cans are a must for me...

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Not only that, but the 701s are very very hard to drive properly. A PA2V2 is not likely to cut it.
As for the 990, I find the 250ohm version a bit strained with a GV5s, but the 32ohm sounded fine.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 13
This is what I hear from both:

K701 - slightly more soundstage, bit more detail,
DT990 - bit more musical, reaches higher which can sometimes be a bit harsh and revealing of poor recording and/or source, more bass presence.

The differences are not night and day to my ears. They are both refined headphones with the Beyers bringing a bit more fun to the party. I love my K701s but I'm having a hard time justifying keeping both. If I had to choose, I think I might pick the DT990s which is difficult for me to say since the AKGs were my first serious love.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 13
I previously owned the K701 and currently own the '05 DT990 (250). There's no question that the K701 is an excellent headphone (you can find numerous reviews), but DT990 is the one for me. I find its sound very engaging and concur with warrior05's comments.

Despite the 250 ohm impedance, I find that my portable amps drive the DT990 well, and it sounded pretty good even with my laptop's headphone jack.

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Well, thanks for all the advice.

After thinking a few days about it, I decided to get some 990s. Just ordered them from beyer's manufaktur - all in black (yeah!).

If someone is interested, I can post a few pics as soon as they arrive...

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny, most people seem to say the AKGs 'color' the sound as compared to the 990.

Not the K701's, the 990's color the sound far more (for the sake of "excitement")

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 13
i shouldn't be posting in this thread rightfully as i've not heard the k701s, but i'll say one thing...the dt990s are easily powered by my laptop sound card and here's the interesting part...sound almost as good as the audigy 4 pro > gv5 setup for my main computer...i was surprised to find this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back