AKG 701 & G5 Mac amp recommendations
Mar 29, 2007 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

piper78

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I posted earlier in the Headphone Amp forum, but I think this forum may be more aimed at what I'm looking for. I just received my new AKG 701's and I'm loving them so far.
rs1smile.gif

I work in animation on a G5 all day and was wondering what amp would pair well with my 701's and a G5 as I have my music on the computer, both at home and at work. A portable amp that could be plugged into the AC and easy to carry along with my cans would be ideal, but I'm not sure which one. Also I'm trying to keep the price between $100-$300, Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
eggosmile.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by piper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I work in animation on a G5 all day and was wondering what amp would pair well with my 701's and a G5 as I have my music on the computer, both at home and at work. A portable amp that could be plugged into the AC and easy to carry along with my cans would be ideal, but I'm not sure which one. Also I'm trying to keep the price between $100-$300, Any recommendations?

What kind of G5 -- PowerMac or iMac? I like the Corda Headfive (similar to the Arietta) with mine but it's not exactly portable. Plus, the built-in DAC of the Mac is generally good but can lack clarity, so you might want to consider an amp/dac combo. How about the PortaCorda MkIII USB or a Total BitHead from Headroom?

Honestly, though, to get the most out of your 701s you may want something a bit higher in price.

--Chris

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of G5 -- PowerMac or iMac? I like the Corda Headfive (similar to the Arietta) with mine but it's not exactly portable. Plus, the built-in DAC of the Mac is generally good but can lack clarity, so you might want to consider an amp/dac combo. How about the PortaCorda MkIII USB or a Total BitHead from Headroom?

Honestly, though, to get the most out of your 701s you may want something a bit higher in price.

--Chris

Thanks for the suggestions, actually there's only one G5 and that's the tower which I use, but that's not really the issue here.
wink.gif

You mentioned the Total Bithead from Headroom and after viewing their site I came across the Headroom Micro Amp, what would be your opinion on this component? It looks portable enough.

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions, actually there's only one G5 and that's the tower which I use, but that's not really the issue here.
wink.gif

There's also a G5 iMac. It does kinda sorta matter. The PowerMac (the "tower") has digital audio out using a standard S/PDIF as well as a separate analog output, the G5 iMac has a combined mini-jack S/PDIF which is also an analog out. Which I guess really isn't that important except to say that the PowerMac G5 analog output is a little bit noisy (but still better than your average built-in audio out).

Quote:

You mentioned the Total Bithead from Headroom and after viewing their site I came across the Headroom Micro Amp, what would be your opinion on this component? It looks portable enough.

I've not heard the Headroom Micro yet, but other Headroom products I have heard/owned are generally very good (even if more pricey than homebrew alternatives), so it may be a great choice for you. If you are mainly going to use this hooked up to AC power, get the free Desktop module upgrade. This would definitely be more suited to the K701s than the BitHead, and you could always add the Micro DAC (or another DAC) later to get around the noisy G5 analog output.

--Chris

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't exactly want your audio going out from the poor G5 mac's analogue out into your amp.

That wouldn't be too good in sound quality.

I exaggerate when I say 'noisy.' Sure, it's ideal to have an external solution, but in all honesty the PowerMac G5 has an excellent analog output compared to the built-in audio of most desktop machines. With my setup, there is a slight lack of detail compared to the same amp connected to a good PCDP. Under the price ceiling of $300, I think the OP would do just fine with an amp for now and maybe a DAC down the road.

--Chris

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also a G5 iMac. It does kinda sorta matter. The PowerMac (the "tower") has digital audio out using a standard S/PDIF as well as a separate analog output, the G5 iMac has a combined mini-jack S/PDIF which is also an analog out. Which I guess really isn't that important except to say that the PowerMac G5 analog output is a little bit noisy (but still better than your average built-in audio out).
--Chris

Interesting, I never knew that, especially about the analog out, that sounds encouraging. Also the Desktop module, (what's that?) if it's free, sure I'll take it, but what does it do?

As for the noisy analog output, I'm not gettin' that, maybe it's my hearing, but it sounds pretty clean to me, so maybe the DAC would be an option.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Also the Desktop module, (what's that?) if it's free, sure I'll take it, but what does it do?

Opps, my bad, all I needed to do was read further along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back