AKG 701 & G5 Mac amp recommendations
Mar 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

piper78

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, I just received my new AKG 701's and I'm loving them so far.
580smile.gif
Through my research I found this cool site which helped me decide on choosing these headphones.
I work in animation on a G5 all day and was wondering what amp would pair well with my 701's and a G5 as I have my music on the computer. A portable amp that could be plugged into the AC and easy to carry along with my cans would be ideal, but I'm not sure which one. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
eggosmile.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by piper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, I just received my new AKG 701's and I'm loving them so far.
580smile.gif
Through my research I found this cool site which helped me decide on choosing these headphones.
I work in animation on a G5 all day and was wondering what amp would pair well with my 701's and a G5 as I have my music on the computer. A portable amp that could be plugged into the AC and easy to carry along with my cans would be ideal, but I'm not sure which one. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
eggosmile.gif

Hi, I have K 701's and just bought a Woo 6 from Wooaudio. It's a tube amp and I just love it. Built here in New York Mr. Wu offers excellent support, and produces a top quality product. This is my first tube product, and I must say I'm very impressed! I can't believe how good this old technology can sound. I think given the price it's a perfect match for the K701's. It has plenty of drive, I have not been able to clip it yet. The most impressive thing is how quite the amp is. I mean dead quite even at full volume. A class act!

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Hello Everyone,

580smile.gif

Thanks in advance
eggosmile.gif

Hi, I have K 701's and just bought a Woo 6 from Wooaudio. It's a tube amp and I just love it. Built here in New York Mr. Wu offers excellent support, and produces a top quality product. This is my first tube product, and I must say I'm very impressed! I can't believe how good this old technology can sound. I think given the price it's a perfect match for the K701's. It has plenty of drive, I have not been able to clip it yet. The most impressive thing is how quite the amp is. I mean dead quite even at full volume. A class act! I work in Lightwave PM me, and I'll send you a link to my site.

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

I'm not sure, are the Woo products portable? I would be going back and forth from the studio to home.

No they are not portable. I thought you were looking for a home based amp. Sorry.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 9
If you want to amp your K701s from your mac, you also need to get a DAC, otherwise you'll be amping a noisy headphone out signal, defeating the point.

I think the G5 headphone out sounds quite good and they are more than capable of driving the K701s.

Unless you need the last 10% or so of sound quality with an amp/dac combo, I say just stick to plugging in directly.

Although some will probably argue that a top-of-the-line phone like the 701 clearly deserves better than a HP out.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to amp your K701s from your mac, you also need to get a DAC, otherwise you'll be amping a noisy headphone out signal, defeating the point.

I think the G5 headphone out sounds quite good and they are more than capable of driving the K701s.

Unless you need the last 10% or so of sound quality with an amp/dac combo, I say just stick to plugging in directly.

Although some will probably argue that a top-of-the-line phone like the 701 clearly deserves better than a HP out.

Actually, it has been sounding pretty darn good compared to the Sony MDR V6 I used to own even out of the box, but when I decided to invest in some good quality headphones, it made me wonder if they also require a good amp as well.

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 9
Personally, I don't think you're doing the phones justice plugging them in directly.

Neither can you use the headphone out on your Mac direct to the amp then to the headphones, it defeats the purpose.

An amp/dac combo would give you more than 10% improvement.

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 9
I've actually decided to get the Headroom Micro Amp with the desktop module. I have been burning them so far for around 60 hours with another 240 to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Burning them with the amp should help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back