AKG 701 build quality
Mar 9, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
According to AKG there is actually some thin steel wire in there, assuming thats true I imagine it would be pretty durable.

Are you sure you are not referring to the insulated headband or the elastic bands for the size adjustment? I do not believe the elastic portion has any steel in it. The insulated headband does have conductive wire however.

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
This is really not very encouraging for a prospective K701 buyer. How does it compare to the HD650 or the DT880? Are there metal parts at all?

i agree, along with the mixed reviews. don't knoe if i still want these anymore.

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #18 of 26
I think the K701s have decent cost/performance ratio

I feel the construction is superb(would like it to have detachable cables, but that's my only gripe)
They certainly look more expensive than my K1000s
While we don't know how long they last but they're downright cheap! A headphone this good for this price?!?!
They don't need nearly enough power as my K1000s, sound great out of soundcard/ipod/ppa/anything I throw at it

I think for the average listener, these babies beg for either 1.amp with variable bass or 2.EQ

I'm definitely going to start using these portably.

Make sure you consider these points:
1. Comfort, I feel they definitely outclass the HD650 in comfort(subjective here obviously).
2. Looks(could be a con, depends on taste... subjective again)
3. Price was a really strong point, don't know what kind of prices they are at now
4. If you like more bass'ier things, make sure you have variable bass or EQ(or go with something like the HD650, DT 770/80)
5. I wouldn't say they absolutely need a dedicated amp. They sound decent straight out the iPod. I know many people have said these things are power hungry but I'm finding otherwise. Although since K1000s are my "reference cans" I guess you could contribute that to my point of reference
6. Technically capable cans, that they are... the sound just isn't for(I'm speculating) most people.

EDIT: 7. There was a mention of their plastic'like feel. Yes, they definitely do feel like overgrown ibuds. I would agree that they feel cheaper than they look... by a long shot. The brown leather headband is the only thing that feels semi-expensive.

I know I said both:
1. construction is superb
2. they feel cheaper than they look

It's true they feel cheap, but I think the construction is very good(sounds like a contridiction, I know). Most of the design seems very well thought out. They look gorgeous to me and they're very comfortable.

I had similar feelings about the K1000s: They felt really cheap, but the contruction was very good

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 26
About comfort:

When listening for long periods with K701 the headband started to grind my head. It's because the padding of the headband is not designed very well. The paddings are in a small circle shaped areas and only the biggest circle which is right in the middle of the headband touched my head. So all the preassure is on this one little spot which eventually caused pain on that spot. Those paddings aren't very soft or thick either.

650s has softer pads and they touch your head in much wider area. I have never had any problems with 650s comfort. Yes they have much more clapping force than many other headphones but for me it hasn't been a problem.

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #20 of 26
Does AKG still sell these for the K340? On the pair I bought, the bands have lost all of their elasticity, so they are more or less set to my ears and won't really stretch up and down. If AKG does still sell them, how would I go about ordering a pair?

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
About comfort:

When listening for long periods with K701 the headband started to grind my head. It's because the padding of the headband is not designed very well. The paddings are in a small circle shaped areas and only the biggest circle which is right in the middle of the headband touched my head. So all the preassure is on this one little spot which eventually caused pain on that spot. Those paddings aren't very soft or thick either.

650s has softer pads and they touch your head in much wider area. I have never had any problems with 650s comfort. Yes they have much more clapping force than many other headphones but for me it hasn't been a problem.

That's a very good observation. Stock K701s might not be the best if you don't have lots of hair. I think I'd feel the same grind if I had less hair.

Bald + K701 would be very bad.
So if you're bald, you'd have to seriously consider another set or mod your headband(very easy mod to do actually)

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #22 of 26
Oh, I'm not worried about the looks at all. I LIKE the toilet bowl theme! My main gripe is with the fact that many of you seem to think that they feel cheaper than they look.

I have the HD650 and to be absolutely frank with you, they feel more expensive than they look! The same goes for my SR325i. I know looks don't affect the sound, but I am the type of person who values looks a lot. Oh well... I'M STILL GETTING THESE THOUGH!

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
And about that rubber band. That joint where it disappears into the headphone, does anyone else have this joint looking like it would crack any time? The hole where the rubber band goes was somehow "widening" in my K701. Sorry this is hard to explain with my English but maybe you know what I mean.

Mine have the same assembly defect. The plastic pieces aren't fitted properly, and it shows at the point where the rubber band enters the headphone cup.

That said, I have put over 400 hundred hours on my K701 since November, all of it actual listening time. I've had no problems. The headphone seems very solid. I have number 1400, and there may have been some early problems with fit and finish as the headphone went into production.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Mine have the same assembly defect. The plastic pieces aren't fitted properly, and it shows at the point where the rubber band enters the headphone cup.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. When I first took them out of the box and inspected them thorougly I was freaking scared when I spotted that "defect". But immediately I spotted it on the other cup also so I knew it was meant to be that way. Though I'd have hoped some better fitting from AKG's new top-of-the-line product.

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #25 of 26
Ohh, now I am ok, I was really disturbed about this hole thing, additionally at the left side the hole area is almost 1 mm more open than right side. Now , thanks guys for your answers, I understand, that its probably technical thing, then defective failure on K 701.
And yes, they look very fragile, but the plastic actually is very hard.

Regards,

Akin

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward

That said, I have put over 400 hundred hours on my K701 since November, all of it actual listening time. I've had no problems. The headphone seems very solid. I have number 1400, and there may have been some early problems with fit and finish as the headphone went into production.

I have the same problem. I thought about putting a dab of super glue in the gap and pressing it together, but that's just too anal. It just looks sort of odd, but they still feel solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back