AKG 701 Amp Recommendations
Feb 17, 2007 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nolocus

Head-Fier
Hey people, hoping I could get some recommendations here for amping my AKG 701.

It would be easier to go through if you guys could organize them price range wise...perhaps serve as a reference for the future.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 24
Eh...how much you wanna pay? We have been through the subject of amps, from what I gather k701 benefits from tubes, and if you can get into 500ish budget there is some excellent stuff to play with there.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 24
NP.
Don't leave out solid state, I think some were suggested, although I would also check up the headphone section on what people say about k701 and its needs / amps that went with it well. There are 2 huge threads on that I believe.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 24
AKG K701 is as good or better than any other HP - click on the link in my signature.

All my headphone current amps do great with the AKG K710 - as good or better than other more expensive amps.

The K701 doesn't need tubes - the SA5000 does because of its lean tone body.

All solid state amps are too lean in their tone body for me. Some tube amps are also but most tube amps can be set up with the right tubes to give the most naturally rich tone body you can get without sacrificing: detail, sharp imaging, or instrument separation in congested passages.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It would be easier to go through if you guys could organize them price range wise...perhaps serve as a reference for the future.

smily_headphones1.gif

iBasso P1 is a "WOW" for its price.

I will have to quote myself
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by supermite
Let's not forget the iBasso P1, another one with powerful output transistors instead of op-amps. I received mine just yesterday and with my K701 it's already showing all the attributes I above said I desire. It has a material presence with vocals and instruments, a thunderous bass on demand, a great deal of smoothness, refinement and richness in colors... And that's with the stock OPA2134s, using the supplied 18V AC adapter. I now wonder what the LM4562 or the AD823/AD8620 are going to do for it.

If you don't mind the price of just $88 + shipping (eBay), get it!
340smile.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

All of my SS amp experience with the 701s boiled down to one amp (for me): The Heed Canamp. It really elevates the AKGs to a different level. When I owned the H5, it amped the 701s to a very acceptable, this is a good combination level. When I would switch amps, I literally would be knocked off my chair. 701s, as Dex said, can be hard to drive, and the Heed has more than enough power. It is a black beast. You never want to take the 701s off your head irrespective of your musical genre. It also mates beautifully with the Headroom Microdac for that extra sparkle and warmth. Obviously we are talking about much more expensive amps than the previous post but you do not want to underpower such good headphones

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of my SS amp experience with the 701s boiled down to one amp (for me): The Heed Canamp. It really elevates the AKGs to a different level. When I owned the H5, it amped the 701s to a very acceptable, this is a good combination level. When I would switch amps, I literally would be knocked off my chair. 701s, as Dex said, can be hard to drive, and the Heed has more than enough power. It is a black beast. You never want to take the 701s off your head irrespective of your musical genre. It also mates beautifully with the Headroom Microdac for that extra sparkle and warmth. Obviously we are talking about much more expensive amps than the previous post but you do not want to underpower such good headphones

Do you call 340 mW RMS (on external DC) underpower?
eek.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 24
raw power numbers do not mean a great deal when we are
discussing not only the true quality of the amplification but
the relationship the 701s have with the Heeds. Take a stroll
over to the Heed thread if you are incredulous.

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
raw power numbers do not mean a great deal when we are
discussing not only the true quality of the amplification but
the relationship the 701s have with the Heeds. Take a stroll
over to the Heed thread if you are incredulous.

I'm not saying that a Heed CanAmp or a Xenos 1HA-EPC or a Headroom Micro Amp wouldn't be even better. The only thing I have said here is that the iBasso P1 is an incredible deal for $88, one that truly delivers with the K701, hear to believe.

While you're at it, you would want to add to your "optimal amps" list the Little Dot Micro Tube, purchased with the dual buffers per channel for $199 + shipping.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for the suggestion: Between the Xenos, GV5 and Heed I think I'm good for at least today. I've been spending more time adding Ultrasone 2500s to my group of 650s and 701s
and burning them in the last week. Absolutely fantastic headphones from Ultrasone!

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 24
Um, no, to the best of my knowledge.

I labeled an "incredible deal" the P1 since it even betters my C&C BOX, one more very well regarded amp that was reported to hold up to the likes of the SR71. Moreover you can easily upgrade its op-amps with, for instance, the excellent LM4562 or the AD823/AD8620.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back