AKG 601/701 in Canada, big difference in price
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #16 of 31
i thought akg's were made in germany why would it be more expensive then buying in america?

the shipping thing is a whole diff story. u either pay or take a risk. both suck for canadians. even for 50 dollar package i've been charged 13 bucks, just sucks!

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
AKG is Austrian.

German made cars are insanely expensive in Germany and the rest of Europe. Unfortunately for them, that's just the way their economy is.

Not all German made cars. Brand new Mercedes cars are slightly cheaper in Germany even after the shipping fee and the factory tour + accomadation (compared to the US). But maybe this is just for the S-class?
confused.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #20 of 31
Don't know about US but in Holland we have most expensive cars. The reason is the TAX that you have to pay and this HOLLY HIGH up here.
mad.gif
That's the only difference that you can have in price range in EU.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
Don't know about US but in Holland we have most expensive cars. The reason is the TAX that you have to pay and this HOLLY HIGH up here.
mad.gif
That's the only difference that you can have in price range in EU.

Sorry for going off-topic here, but did you guys in Holland experience a major pricing overhaul after the Euro changeover?

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Sorry for going off-topic here, but did you guys in Holland experience a major pricing overhaul after the Euro changeover?

Well in the beginning was like shock for everyone, some of the prices were exactly double. Say it was NLG 2 (old Dutch currency ) and become EUR 2. The all small things like stupid shower gel, deo ets. But also things like shoes and clothing. And now after almost 6 years nobody talks much about it, only sometimes. I still have double feelings about this hole thing.
confused.gif
Don't take me wrong but I buy my stuff only in Germany or US or else, but NEVER in Holland. That's says a lot, isn't. If i want to buy AKG K701 up here i have to pay EUR 379, when in Germany EUR 285 excl.shipping. And the shipping like EUR 12-15 I am lucky that i can purchase in Germany, very kind and friendly people up there
tongue.gif

But also global there are enough good and friendly falks, like here
eggosmile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
It's risky. If they decide to open and inspect the package, and don't believe the value, they could withhold the package for weeks and assess it with whatever value they feel like. And if the package is not declared at full value, if the package is lost or damaged, you are out the difference.
Just something to keep in mind.

What if you arrange to have the sender indicate "Repair $50"? You'd pay minimal customs/GST.

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #24 of 31
Doesn't even need that. Just a good old slash across the value field. As long as there is no invoice on the front customs has no reason to doubt it to be used, free, repair or otherwise. That and USPS to CP transfers at the border are not 'brokered'. But lets suppose the full value is declared, $309USD=358CAD you are only required to pay GST since it was not sold in your province which would be $25CAD. You are still miles ahead of the $515CAD plus GST $36CAD.

With our high dollar buying from the US is a no brainer especially with people asking ridiculous ammounts for new and used gear for the benefit of keeping it inside our borders. I could care less who's pocket I'm padding as long as they are the one lightening mine the least
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
But lets suppose the full value is declared, $309USD=358CAD you are only required to pay GST since it was not sold in your province which would be $25CAD.

Nope, you obviously have not bought many things cross border, you pay GST and PST + $5. I've probably bought multiple dozens of items and both taxes always apply when importing into Ontario. This is also true if you are importing things coming back from travelling.

If you don't declare a value and if the package isn't clearly marked, they WILL open it and assess the value. If the item is a gift under $60, it is exempt from taxes/fees

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
What if you arrange to have the sender indicate "Repair $50"? You'd pay minimal customs/GST.

Yes, repaired items would likely escape duties/taxes.

But even then they have made mistakes. Just this week, I received a repaired flashlight part (worth $100) and UPS still tried to charge me taxes and brokerage ($25!!!). I had to get the sender to tell UPS that it was an item that was *returning* to Canada. Damn UPS!!!

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 31
Sinply just don't buy from them
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Because $355 + 30% Customs = about $460. Don't forget that the HD650 retails for around $650 CAD. AKG is justs pricing its products near its competitors relative to each country.

How comes the 30% Customs?

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
i hate buying luxury stuff in Canada....it's too costly over here...I'd rather buy it from the states and let the CA stores dried up and die. Actually I'm thinking of moving to the states after im done studying
tongue.gif
GO AMERICA!

U-S-A, U-S-A ! haha, jk.

Anyway, I'm considering either getting the 601 or 701...any impressions?

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #30 of 31
Come on guys lets be real. This is all customs and other TAX forms that every country has. You can be mad or not but thats change nothing at all. I buy more stuf in Germany as well. Not because the TAX, no, because its cheaper up there. Why? How do I know?! Maybe the sellers not that GREEDY
very_evil_smiley.gif
, can be... Patience and drive to search things, thats the only way to get things bit cheaper
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back