AKG 550 Thread
Oct 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

franklyshankly

100+ Head-Fier
I'm really interested in these phones but after reading the "New" thread on these that was closed, I'm wondering if there are enough users to support a new thread. Or did most people end up returning them? I tried them at Magnolia and really really liked them but I'm not sure what kind of amp they were hooked up. Is interest for these waning?

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm a very satisfied owner, but these headphone are the source of a lot of disagreement on Head-Fi. I am not planning on returning mine, I find them to be the best closed headphone I've ever heard and the slightly emphasized and edgy midrange does not bother me at all, it is not nearly as strident and edgy as headphones from many other companies, fe. Grado, Ultrasone...

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 5
I loved them and I guess I'm lucky (huge headed?) bcuase they fit perfectly, so comfortable. I'm not sure how much the amp affected sound but I was amazed by the clarity and the upper mid spike actually appealed to me. I understand why they are called neutral but I think they are colored and fun (just not in a basshead way). My music felt so alive textured and HUGE! I guess this is the big soundstage? The sound was so enormous and enveloping yet very precise and detailed. Also to me the mids were really the highlight not forward exactly but so detailed and full. I think I'm gonna buy them. I've been looking for closed back portable and was thinking of getting m50s for the third time but after trying these out I'm so happy to not have to get them again. Anyhow these cans deserve more love on here they offer a really special combination of strengths (but not without possible weaknesses).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back