AKG 501 with 701 earpad? No...
Jul 30, 2006 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Banfi T.

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks...

I bought more than 2 weeks ago a set of 701 earpad for my 501. I was hoping a bit more bass since there were comments about this effect.

Well, after two weeks earpad swapping and listening I can honestly say that I can not recommend this mod to anyone who "knows" the 501 well. I think it is a common knowledge by know, that the 501 can be very seductive because of its "magic" midrange if you live long enough with it. In fact, I made the failure to make it to my primary headphone for several weeks and since then there is not turning back, most of the phones are muddy and "closed" sounding.

Now, that transparency and midrange magic is that you loose to a certain degree with using the 701 earpad. The bass becomes more promiment (not the lowest region), but also the bass presentation becomes a lot "unclear". At first I heard new details, but this was because a different part of the frequency range was put forward. You hear more from the sound comings from that range, but the overall resultions drops a bit. (This emphasis is near the middle frequencies.) Also - and that bugs me the most - the openess and speed of the headphone is gone too. It is really prominent if you have the 501' sound in your ear.

At first I would have liked to use them because of the higher comfort factor and different bass, then I thought that I will use the 701 pads just to certain records, but after I while I had to realize that there is no gain at all from using them (except the comfort).

If you think about getting these pads to your 501 save yourself a couple of penny if I may advise.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 2
I'd have to agree with you, although some seem to like the modified presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back