AKG 501 or Alessandro MS-2. Help me decide.
Sep 3, 2004 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
I posted the following question in the Welcome back AKG K-501 !! thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by elvergun
I read similar comments about the lack of bass on the Eggos D66…I went ahead and purchased them anyway, only to find that they were indeed bass shy. I performed the tape mod and they became a bit better – just enough that I did not sell them (I now use them as my portable cans).

Have any of you heard the D66s. How does the K-501’s bass compare to the Eggos (without the mod)? Are the k501s as bass-less as the D66s?

I get the feeling that people have stopped looking at that old thread.

I would like to get an answer to this question since I’m itching to get a set of full size open phones. If the K-501s have considerable more bass than the Eggos I will buy the AKGs. If not, I think I’ll opt for the Alessandro MS-2s. Since there is a group buy for the MS-2s going on right now, time is critical (bah…but it looks like the group buy is dissolving as type this).

I mostly listen to Jazz…I just purchased a MisterX Pimeta…an iPod is the source.

Thanks.

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 15
I can't speak personally about the 501, but I was in your situation until earlier this week. I emailed Todd back and forth about getting a good rock headphone and a good classical headphone, and asked about the 501's bass extension. He didn't say it was "bad", but really thought the 501's strong suit was its midrange presentation. For the rock phone, he recommended the Grado 225s. I leaned that way until Jahn's post about his Alessandro MS-2's and read enough from others about them to bite the bullet. If you like punchy bass that also hits the low stuff cleanly, I think the MS-2 will satisfy you more than the 501, especially if you aren't using an amp...anybody who's actually heard the 501 please correct me at will, just trying to say what i've heard!!

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

If the K-501s have considerable more bass than the Eggos I will buy the AKGs. If not, I think I’ll opt for the Alessandro MS-2s. I mostly listen to Jazz…I just purchased a MisterX Pimeta…an iPod is the source.
Thanks.

I think you should opt for the MS-2s. The AKGs, unless properly driven by something in the range of an Earmax Pro or the AudioValve RKV MKII, provide less bass than the Eggos. As Headroom pointed out, the AKGs live in the midrange. Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I think you should opt for the MS-2s. The AKGs, unless properly driven by something in the range of an Earmax Pro or the AudioValve RKV MKII, provide less bass than the Eggos. As Headroom pointed out, the AKGs live in the midrange. Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Less bass? Holly crap. I didn’t think you could make a phone with less bass than the D66s (well, perhaps the PX200s, which I also own).

It seems that I’m buying (or thinking about buying) all the worst bass performing cans on the planet.

But I also do not like too much bass. I bought the AT A500s and I didn’t like the bass on those cans. I thought it was too boomy. Perhaps they seemed that way because of the missing mids which made the bass sound too bloated.

Sep 3, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Less bass? Holly crap. I didn’t think you could make a phone with less bass than the D66s (well, perhaps the PX200s, which I also own).

must be the fit, the px200 is quite bassy for me.

its easy to choose between the k501 and grado. if you listen to classical, jazz and acoustic, go for the akg. if you like rock, then get grado.

i actaully think the bass have a tight and deep impact, when amped well. but its not going to be enough for most people.

Sep 3, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 15
Any others familiar with both the K501 and the D66?

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

it must be the fit. my px200s give me plenty of bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shang-Ti Chen
Boomy?

i think it was more a reference to volume than any boominess.
wink.gif

anyway to answer the original question - certainly the ms-2, the k501 will not give you anything near what you are looking for bass-wise. i own both currently and switch between them both frequently. imo they complement each other.

Sep 3, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 15
Like its been said you really need a solid amp if you want the 501s bass to come to life (read hit hard). With poor amps or no amps the bass is still there just it doesn't kick you down like the punch felt from bass boomin cans like grados and come IEMs. You can EQ the bass a little in the 501, but not much. That said I still prefer my 501s over the DT770p for high energy music and rock due the clarity and airyness of the can over the DT770. If you are looking to rock out I would definately take the loads of advice for the MS2, but if you tend to lean toward jazz and other non-rock genres then I would recommend the AKG. Both cans are high quality so its merely a 'which cans are more my type' type-of-decision.

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

I posted the following question in the Welcome back AKG K-501 !! thread:

I get the feeling that people have stopped looking at that old thread.

Old thread? it's only a month old
tongue.gif
your question would have been answered in that old thread I'm sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Indecision…

Well, I own the SR60…how do these differ from the MS-2.

Are the Beyerdynamic DT 880s similar to the K501 (but with much better bass)?

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 15
From what I understand the DT880 is drier than the K501 but with better (and more) bass, yes. But don't quote me on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back