AKG 501 clamp???
Jul 16, 2005 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
I find it difficult to wear the AKG 501 for more then half and hour. In fact, a few days a go I wore it for 2 hours (watching Star Trek Voyager 2 eps) and got left with a sore jaw. Upon inspecting the build, it doesn't seem like something that would loosen up at all. Is there any mods that I could do or should I let it be worn on for a longer time to loosen the grip (I'll put it on a brick or something...can't bear the pain anymore).

Thx in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 12
There are black rubber bands that make the leather strap self-adjusting.
You can easily see them.
If you don't see them....could there be fake K501?

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 12
They should self-adjust and be comfortable for most people. I don't remember them really changing in comfort that much from when I first bought them. They're some of of the most comfortable cans I've ever worn, if not the most. How do they compare with your other cans in comfort?

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 12
I can't imagine K501s being uncomfortable to wear!!! Really! They are to me by far the most comfortable and least fatiguing cans to wear of all gear I've ever owned and/or demoed. Could it just be that you slightly misplace them on your head? Try to reposition them slightly forward, so that edges of your ear just touch the rear inner part of the can's foam cusion.

Jul 16, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 12
My AKG 501's are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. I can wear them for hours without discomfort. Of course, I guess you need to use your own experience to evaluate your comfort level.

Jul 16, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I find it difficult to wear the AKG 501 for more then half and hour. In fact, a few days a go I wore it for 2 hours (watching Star Trek Voyager 2 eps) and got left with a sore jaw. Upon inspecting the build, it doesn't seem like something that would loosen up at all. Is there any mods that I could do or should I let it be worn on for a longer time to loosen the grip (I'll put it on a brick or something...can't bear the pain anymore).

Thx in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

sore jaw huh, that's what my 650 use to do last time. although it's still pressing towards my face quite tightly, getting sore jaw is significantly less. i was hoping that the 501 would be more comfortable....but it too comes with the death clamp? u can use the usual advice, stressing it on something while ua re not using it, or let ur face get use to the clamp and let the phone naturally stressout.

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 12
If my Sennheiser HD590 are 9/10 in comfortability, then my K501 are about 7/10, they are fine for a couple hours of movie watching (in bed) but when it gets too uncomfortable for my neck I change to my HD590.
The K501's last much longer (5+ hours) when sitting straight up, the only problem is that they move a little when eating food.
icon10.gif

I don't have a problem with the jaw, I have a small head.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 12
I can't even look down wearing my 501's they'll slide off my head, the clamping is that gentle and I have just a regular size head... the only criticism I would have of the comfort is the pads could be a touch softer...

J

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
They should self-adjust and be comfortable for most people. I don't remember them really changing in comfort that much from when I first bought them. They're some of of the most comfortable cans I've ever worn, if not the most. How do they compare with your other cans in comfort?

They are the worst
eek.gif

Even SR-60 is better, not that I find ti confortable

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
There are black rubber bands that make the leather strap self-adjusting.
You can easily see them.
If you don't see them....could there be fake K501?

Its just the clamp factor. The headphone cups extends down to my ear reasonably although they touch my ear bottoms. I know letting them fondle my pillows daily to let them looser.

0717_203710.jpg

0717_203704.jpg

Am I damaging them??? I have to see the dentist this tuesday. My gums hurt slightly. Maybe there is a cavity long overdue but the pain started after my trekkie session with the 501
frown.gif

edit: I meant my bolster

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 12
I'm back to report that the AKG 501's confort has improved significantly
biggrin.gif

It is still the most unconfortable can I've own but the clamping effect has been significantly reduced. It still doesn't fit as well as my other headphones but I can't sleep with it without getting any headache when I wake up
biggrin.gif

The bolster method is really effective. My head might not be wide enough thus not breaking in the headphone's hold effectively or something
rolleyes.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I'm back to report that the AKG 501's confort has improved significantly
biggrin.gif

It is still the most unconfortable can I've own but the clamping effect has been significantly reduced. It still doesn't fit as well as my other headphones but I can't sleep with it without getting any headache when I wake up
biggrin.gif

The bolster method is really effective. My head might not be wide enough thus not breaking in the headphone's hold effectively or something
rolleyes.gif

Send them to me I have a big head and will break them in for you. Try and put them around a few books that way its stiffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back