AKG 501/701 purely for gaming
Sep 10, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither.. 601 are killer for gaming.

Indeed they are
biggrin.gif

I'm surprised to see so much K601 love here . . . they really are great cans.

Personally I use a tactile transducer with my headphones to fix the whole "impact" problem without creating other issues. Of course this is out of the currently proposed budget . . . but may lend itself to future ideas.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tactile does not equal audible, and so it seems you have not fixed the whole impact problem.

I don't think you're using impact the same way I am then. The response of the K601s is fast, offers a pretty constant pressure for bass notes, and extends extremely deep.

Impact is something that is felt and gives you an impression of bass without it necessarily being there. Though in this case it actually is thanks to K601 extension.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #35 of 48
No, I'm using impact in the same way. If you achieve the same effect with a tactile transducer, then you are solving the whole impact problem. I simply question whether you are achieving the same effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you're using impact the same way I am then. The response of the K601s is fast, offers a pretty constant pressure for bass notes, and extends extremely deep.

Impact is something that is felt and gives you an impression of bass without it necessarily being there. Though in this case it actually is thanks to K601 extension.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

No, I'm using impact in the same way. If you achieve the same effect with a tactile transducer, then you are solving the whole impact problem. I simply question whether you are achieving the same effect.

Well it's worth noting that it's not a traditional transducer like Aura shakers. It's a Buttkicker that uses the electromagnetic piston design which is better for lower frequencies and is still extremely fast for the purpose.

The question I have is which effect are you specifically referring to? The impact is obviously going to be greater than any headphone on its own. It's closer to listening to speakers with an extremely accurate sub than it is a pair of headphones described as having impact.

That was my goal for my headphone rig and I feel I've achieved it quite well with use of multiple items.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Neither.. 601 are killer for gaming.

I can vouch for that, unfortunately you would have to strech your budget quite a bit to get them...

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #38 of 48
Good evening,

I have the k702, and wouldn't really recommend them for gaming, i am running them off my xonar STX (which admittedly isn't a great card for games), and my Canamp, but i find them a little lacking, for example, when a transition is made from left to right, IE: turning in front of a sound source, i find it very direct, without much smoothness straight from one ear to the other.

on the other hand, my HD595s seem to give off a better "3d" effect where the sound travels in front of you before reaching the other ear. this is just my opinion, but i always go for the 595s when gaming. the only downside is that the bass is not as impactful as the K7xx

i haven't tried any of the other AKGs for gaming, and the K5/6 might give of a better effect than the K7xx, but just thought i'd throw in my opinion

So if you are considering a different can, i would definately recommend the HD595 for gaming, they are also supremely comfortable, and will save you abit of money compared to the K7xx

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Double posh. Maybe its bass depends on what it's plugged into.

Edit:
You know, explosions like in many violent video games today are quite loud and have a great deal of impact in real life. But you really wouldn't know that unless you've been around it, like dynamite, grenades, and such. Headphones without enough bass just don't do violent explosions justice. And so headphones seem to make us choose: sound stage and positional audio vs bigger and more real sounding explosions.

Playing shooters at realistic volumes would be extremely hazardous to your ears.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Posh. The bass is there, you're just used to exaggerated impact.

um...no.

liking the K501 bass = awesome
saying that they sound bass light because all other cans have exaggerated bass = wrong and misleading

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um...no.

saying that they sound bass light because all other cans have exaggerated bass = wrong and misleading

exaggerated bass != exaggerated impact.

Look at Grados. They have crappy bass extension on their SR line. The difference is how they handle the bass . . . the pressure climbs unevenly giving you the sense of impact which you in term take as bass.

Do a bit of research on the 50hz squarewave response HeadRoom performs . . . you'll learn quite a bit.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #42 of 48
do a bit of research? I don't measure headphones with graphs. I don't enjoy headphones with graphs, and I don't buy headphones based off graphs. Maybe you should do less research
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

do a bit of research? I don't measure headphones with graphs. I don't enjoy headphones with graphs, and I don't buy headphones based off graphs. Maybe you should do less research
tongue.gif

Oh, so you're willing to attack a headphone based on your subjective opinions and don't related them to known values at all. So you honestly don't know if the headphones you listen to are exaggerated in any way or not, but will happily accuse other headphones of somehow being deficient.

Talk about the pot and the kettle.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4lx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good evening,

I have the k702, and wouldn't really recommend them for gaming, i am running them off my xonar STX (which admittedly isn't a great card for games), and my Canamp, but i find them a little lacking, for example, when a transition is made from left to right, IE: turning in front of a sound source, i find it very direct, without much smoothness straight from one ear to the other.

on the other hand, my HD595s seem to give off a better "3d" effect where the sound travels in front of you before reaching the other ear. this is just my opinion, but i always go for the 595s when gaming. the only downside is that the bass is not as impactful as the K7xx

i haven't tried any of the other AKGs for gaming, and the K5/6 might give of a better effect than the K7xx, but just thought i'd throw in my opinion

So if you are considering a different can, i would definately recommend the HD595 for gaming, they are also supremely comfortable, and will save you abit of money compared to the K7xx

For FPSers the 701 just lack.. But they shine for racing games with tube amplification, with a heavy does of trance music.. NFS Carbon was made for the 701..

Quote:

um...no.

501/340/701/DT48/HD600/SA5000 all have excellent bass.. The majority will laugh, cause they are so used to massive amounts of inaccurate bass..

Quote:

exaggerated bass != exaggerated impact.

Look at Grados. They have crappy bass extension on their SR line. The difference is how they handle the bass . . . the pressure climbs unevenly giving you the sense of impact which you in term take as bass.

Do a bit of research on the 50hz squarewave response HeadRoom performs . . . you'll learn quite a bit.

Not much of a squarewave response kind of guy.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Not much of a squarewave response kind of guy.

Then how do you propose to measure the accuracy of bass production beyond FR? Surely not just by ear I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back