AKG 450 MINI UNBIASED REVIEW
Nov 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SplashArtist

Head-Fier
    First off I would like to say by no means am I an expert audio analyst, I just love music and want good sounding earphones. I have had quite a few so I will be comparing these headphones to a few others.

Picture:

PACKAGING/STYLING:

Awesome, that pretty much sums up the K450's packaging and styling. The headphones come with a variety of accessories for your use like extra cables (incase one fails), and a brilliant zipper closed case. The headphones styling is phenomenal and look very slick and "cool" and fold up very nicely into the case it comes with.

5/5

BUILD QUALITY:

This is where the K450 starts to fail.  I'm not super caring over the headphones, but even average usage takes a toll on these headphones. The cable is very flimsy and losses connection if you move it around too much (luckily it comes with an extra one) and the plastic driver housing comes loose from all of the headshaking bass these phones produce (more on that later). The band is quite sturdy though and the plastic is quite solid.

2.5/5

COMFORT:

Heres another plus to these phones, the grip on your ears is perfect and the padding is very cushioned and comfortable, sits very nicely on the ear. Nuff said.

5/5

SOUND:

lows:
  Theres positives and negatives to the sq of these phones'. If you are a BASS lover and just want your head to shake and your hair in your ears to tickle (quite literally, these can damage your eardrums no problem) then you may like the sq these headphones produce. The bass is alright in terms of its clarity but can get quite muddy sometimes. Also the bass tends to overpower the mids and highs if your song or eq is filled with alot of low power. 

mids:
  I like the mids on these phones as the vocals can be very clear. The mids CAN get overshadowed by the thumping bass, but it depends on the song and eq you have on. If the song is a little light on the lows the mids can shine through and sound pretty good.

highs:
  The highs on the K450's are the most effected by the bass but say for instance on the song "fireflies" by Owl City the highs are fairly sparkly and nice sounding. So if you listen to songs with alot of highs and less bass you should be fairly impressed.

3/5

OVERALL:
  The sq is decent for these headphones, honestly i prefer my cheap koss KSC75 sq more, but thats just personal preference. The sound seems "airy" i guess you can say and doesnt feel like your getting the full experience of the headphones. My BIGGEST complaint though which i havent fully mentioned because its a combo of the build quality and sq is that these babies rattle like no tomorrow and its verrrry annoying, it seems like the plastic isnt solid on the phones or something and the heavy bass makes them shake ruining your experience, take that with a grain of salt though because it might just be my pair. These headphones are only 60$ dollars on ebay now which i think is a fair price for them (they defiently aren't worth the 150$ they sell at retail.) so if you like bass and are worried about the comfort and styling and are on a budget i won't stop you from buying these.

3.5/5 

sorry for my horrible review and lack of knowledge!

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 4
Nice review. That's why I was more interested in the K430. The K450 seem to have too much bass. Though it should be more controlled/well behaved as the hours on them accumulate. Odd that most of what I read is the higher model has the more consumer sound. JVC did that with the S900 while lower models have a more appropriate sound balance. I guess it's the BOSE effect.

Do they think about the whole chain? With a too bassy phone plus MP3's possibly cutting off high freqs and today lack of quality mastering/production it adds up to a mess.

Definitely agree that the whole range are not worth their old selling prices.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Another reviewer mentioned that when you stick the jack into the headphones, you twist it so it locks in place.

But other than that I think its a very well-done review.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 4
yes thats true, thats why you can switch the cables. The only problem is the spare cable is 2 foot long :p thanks for the comments guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back