AKG 403 - Suspiciously cheap
Feb 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JammyBStard

New Head-Fier
I've been using a pair of AKG K24P folding headphones as my everday cans for the last few years.
They are supprisinly good for the price, no Grado but for the low end price they really deliver a good sound.
They've survived bouncing round my pocket without a bag and other than the gold plating wearing of the jack and the pads starting to fall to bits they otherwise refuse to die so I can upgrade. I love the folding mechanism is just fantasticly simple and effective too so I was looking for some replacement pads when I found on amazon the AKG-403 for about 20GBP delivered, which is temptingly cheap. There in a slightly more grown up black colour too. (I really have had the K24Ps a long time)

The  403s seem suspiciously cheap and there seems little about them on here what there is is rave, but there's not much.

Anyone familiar with the 403s? any good compared to the K24P? Or are they infact exactly the same only black?

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 2
  I've been using a pair of AKG K24P folding headphones as my everday cans for the last few years.
They are supprisinly good for the price, no Grado but for the low end price they really deliver a good sound.
They've survived bouncing round my pocket without a bag and other than the gold plating wearing of the jack and the pads starting to fall to bits they otherwise refuse to die so I can upgrade. I love the folding mechanism is just fantasticly simple and effective too so I was looking for some replacement pads when I found on amazon the AKG-403 for about 20GBP delivered, which is temptingly cheap. There in a slightly more grown up black colour too. (I really have had the K24Ps a long time)

The  403s seem suspiciously cheap and there seems little about them on here what there is is rave, but there's not much.

Anyone familiar with the 403s? any good compared to the K24P? Or are they infact exactly the same only black?

Yeah I got to listen to these yesterday from a co-worker. They sounded pretty damned good to me. I only got to audition some youtube videos but one of them was Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Take Five" in HD which is as close to a good mp3 as I could get at work. I was surprised at the big sound from these little guys. They are a bit on the small side but could adjust to fit my massive cranium. Keep in mind they had not been broken in yet and were a new purchase for him.

Sound: Very little coloration. Sounds came through clear and true with no obvious resonance peaks or attenuated dips. They are open backed and sounded very natural. The bass from the jazz came through pulsating and powerful and when the clarinet picked up it was louder than I expected, but did not hurt my ears because it was so smooth. You could hear the air whistling around the reed mouth piece as he starts to blow. The room acoustics of the drums came through without any obvious muddling of the sound stage as well.

Comfort: Small in size, very light weight, need a little bit wider headband.

Quality: The headphone cable is about a meter, on the short side and is typical for a 'walkman' style can. They look delicate and my money is on the plastic housing that connects to the headband being the first to go.

I don't know how much they usually cost but my co-worker picked them up at MusiciansFriend stupid deal of the day for around $20.

That puts them in the same price range as the Sennheiser HD201's and these are better headphones than those.

All in all I think this is a Grado SR-60i killer. It sounds flatter, less colored than the Grado, has a similar earpad style, and is far cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back