AKG 340 need amp?
Aug 2, 2002 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

insanefred

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I have the opportunity to pick up a set of AKG 340 headphones, the ones with the electrostatic/dynamic driver, and was wondering if you guys out there who have experience with these headphones can tell me whether or not they need a powerful amp to drive them?
TIA
Andrew

Aug 2, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 4
The K340s are great headphones. The transparent midrange, due to the electrostatic element, is fantastic. To my ears, at least, they have a fuller, richer sound than the K501s.
I don't know about wattage, but I do know that of all the amps I have, the Sugden Headmaster drives them the best. Although, until I (unfortunately?) discovered Headwize and then Head-Fi, I was very happy listening to them plugged directly into the headphone jack of my Carver Receiver. I also had a lot more disposable income back then.
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 4
I used these phones on the headphone jack of my sugden A48 amp and they sounded great, though I think they sounded even better(or maybe just louder)when driven from the loudspeaker terminals.

If you drive them from the speaker terminals I would think that even a low powered amp would be able to drive them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back