AKG 271 Studio
Oct 31, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 37
Well, simply put, an amp is strongly recommended for all of the 250-ohm Beyers. The sensitivity is simply too low for use with sound cards and portable MP3 players, which in turn don't have quite enough voltage swing to properly drive the Beyers.

Oct 31, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #17 of 37
After plenty od reading ans posting I poped down my local shop and bought the AKG 271.
Comparing with my DT250 80ohm I am well impressed!

They are much more confortable that the DT250 (which clamp my head quite a bit), sound insulation better, and I do prefer the sound, balanced sweet bass, and much better soundstage that the DT250 80 ohm in my opinion.
All this was just straight out of my arcam A75 amp headphone socket.
I'll try them out of my airhead later on, and will buy a "proper" amp as soon as I make my mind up (Creek, X-can V2, V3
confused.gif
)

So far its all thumbs up for the 271's!
600smile.gif

Oct 31, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #18 of 37
Can anyone comment on the midrange of the 271S, compared to say, the 240? I'm wanting to buy an AKG, and it's either the 240S or 271S, I'd prefer to add a closed phone to my collection, but I'm really looking for that awesome AKG sweet midrange
cool.gif

Nov 1, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #19 of 37
aphex944: Midrange of the K271S seemed a bit honky in comparision to the K240S, more so than with the DT250/250 compared to the DT531. I'd recommend to check the DT531 or the K240S for (semi-)open constructions - and the DT250/250, when isolation is needed. I don't like the extra bass-heavy DT770Pro/250 very much, neither the somewhat squeaky K271S - and the DT250/80 doesn't sound right to me, either, due to rather recessed highs.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 5, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 37
So I've spent a LOT of time with these headphones now.

They sound absolutely amazing. So detailed. Just amazing, but there is a catch.

You've got to run them pretty dirty to sound good (Lots of bottom EQ (Mostly just boosting anything below ~200Hz)). At which point they have some of the LOWEST bass I've ever heard from a headphone. The High end and midrange sounds perfect flat, if even a bit to bright and analytical.

I'm going to keep them because they can sound so dang good. But be warned anyone in the future, don't expect the k271 to sound very good running a flat EQ. Yikes, it's got no bottom.

Nov 6, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #21 of 37
I am thinking of buying a pair of AKG K271S's...
I own the Etymotic ER-4P and P to S adapter right now.
I power my headphones out of an iPod and Headsave Transit.

How would the K271's compare to my ER-4P's (or 4S, for that matter)?

BANGPOD

Nov 6, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 37
not sure about the ER4, but they sound a lot better than my ER6, much more and better bass (which could also be due to the shape of my ear canal vs etys..)

I am very pleased w/ the AKG 271
280smile.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:25 AM Post #23 of 37
Interesting, I've always thought that the senn 580/600 had bloated bass, and the akg 271s, which I've had for many many months now have even more pronounced and more bloated bass than the senns. I run them out of my mp3 player (1 AAA battery) and it sounds great to me, especially with a bit of wimpy bass boost thrown in (for some reason the bass boost sounds good on these cans, but not on my other cans) if you need a bass kick when you're on the move. I'm surprised so many people are finding them bass deficient!

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:34 AM Post #24 of 37
Wow, been a long while since I've seen you post here ooheadsoo. Nice to have you back
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by BANGPOD
I am thinking of buying a pair of AKG K271S's...
I own the Etymotic ER-4P and P to S adapter right now.
I power my headphones out of an iPod and Headsave Transit.

How would the K271's compare to my ER-4P's (or 4S, for that matter)?

BANGPOD

Hi! as you can see I have both the AKG K271's and the Etymotic ER4P and what I can say about them compared is that the ER-4P's are much brighter and doesn't have the low bass that you can feel punching your ears if you like that. Whenever I switch between my K271's and my 4P's I have to turn the treble abit down, as same goes for the volume and I turn the bass up a notch. I guess I can say that the 4P's are abit more tight in the low end than the K271's.The ER-4P's are much more sensitive and detailed, you can more easily hear details in the music with them. Soundstage I'd say is about the same for the two headphones. The reason I got both etys and k271's is that I can't walk around at work with the 271's. they are huge! And the ER4P's are impossible to lay on the side with in bed - it messes up the seal.. So at home I mostly use the 271's

With that said I must say that both of these headphones are amazing sounding - at least much better than the headset's that usually are bundled with portable devices or the headphones you can buy for say 40$. (thinking of Sony Streetstyle etc) But I'm sure that there are headphones costing a thousand bucks that is better, but I'm really not that interested in spending that much money on music. I'm happy with what I've got now
smily_headphones1.gif

~

Nov 10, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #26 of 37
Oops, probably shouldn't be posting in this thread here on this subject, but,

hey rizu, long time no see
smily_headphones1.gif
Been broke, so I've beent trying to stay away from this forum
rolleyes.gif
Now I take a peek back in and I find there are new replacement cables for the 580/600, the 650 is finally out, and people are actually liking the 271s!! When I last left, people hardly responded at all to my writeups on the 271. Dunno what that was all about
confused.gif

Man, those new cables sure are tempting, and I thought I just saw somewhere something new about cables for the 271 (uh, just trying to stay on topic somewhat
biggrin.gif
) and it's killing me! Ok, trying not to hijack the thread
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 37
Hi all, I just recently bought a set of AKG 271 Studio's

I asked for some closed can's for my b-day (gave my dad a list)... and he was unable to find any of them... to his credit he did buy me some good headphones... sennheiser 570... which I used for a bit and then returned (I really need the isolation for the bus)... so I finally tracked down some AKG 271 Studio's and I love them... I'm not sure if they are broken in yet... but they have been growing on me nicely... I'm not sure if this is due to burn in or I'm just learning how to listen to them better (my first pair of good cans)... but they are getting better every day... as far as low on bass... I dont find this at all... compairing to the senns and the crappy headphones I had before (sony mdr150) they sound like they have more than enough bass...

I love the detail of these headphones... and my portable drives them fine... although I will be getting an amp soon... maybe a cmoy based DIY amp...

Dec 14, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #28 of 37
A portable will drive these but a receiver, a powerful separates socket or well... an amp will make these sound more dynamic. I was very surprised at the dynamics and bass I was getting out of them with some sources (all amped). These are superb phones, if a little inefficient. Much of the tinnyness that some of you may have referred to may be that your source doesn't have the power to drive them. Low impedance and low sensitivity is not the ideal combination, but that's the K271 for you. Less all-purpose than the ATH-A900 and less suitable with entry-level / unamped equipment, but more scalable.

Bangpod... if you think the bass on the ER-4P is fine, then the K271 will not give you any problems... however you may want something with more meat than the Transit to power the K271.

Dec 14, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 37
well right now I'm using my av320 when on the road... and my computer or my av320 when at home... I dont really have a component stereo system yet... just an all-in-one unit that the wife uses...

the cmoy based amp that I'm looking at was made by phidauex...

thread
picture

...do you think that this would be able to drive the 271's well on the road?

I was also wondering if you have any suggestions on sources or home amps that would be good for listening at home? (maybe this isnt the right place to ask though... I'll have a look in the other forums)

Dec 15, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #30 of 37
I am in the same situation as philodox. The AKG 271S are my first set of decent cans and to me they have plety of bass. I drive them out of my Marantz reciever or my Audigy 2 platinum and when I play Disco Science from Mirwas the bass is HUGE. No lack of bass on my 271's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back