AKG 271 S + portable amp vs Shure E4C
Aug 14, 2006 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dawkin

New Head-Fier
Hello!
Well the title pretty much say it all.
I'm looking to buy new headphones to replace my broken Koss UR 29(lasted 3 weeks) for the main purpose of bus travelling and walking around, sometime computer uses.
After much reading i came down to choose between the AKG 271 S + portable amp vs Shure E4C.

I'm just looking for others opinion or even suggestion of maybe another pair of headphones i should look into. Looking for something with good sound quality and durable, i'm sick of buying headphones every month or changing them when they are still under warranty.

Oh and just out of curiosity, my pair of Koss probably being the best headphones i've had the ''chance'' to listen to, will the difference be surprising upgrading to one of the higher quality headphones?

Thanks for your help!

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't know the Shure E4C, but there are a couple of obvious considerations you must make. The 271S is a fairly big set, and it has a "floating" headband that can create noise if you're moving your head a lot. It also isn't always stationary when moving around. They're also easier to spot, so they're not a good choice if mugging is a problem in your neighborhood. Most circumaural headphones have problems like this, especially at that price point. Closed-back circumaural cans like the K271S can also get fairly hot.
That being said, don't forget that the K271S's do sound really wonderful, and they've served me fine (albeit with an occasional creak) while walking.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 8
I agree with caterpillar_36's and Asr's assessments of the K271. I'll also add that I don't find the K271 very isolating (if that's a factor in your decision).

I haven't heard the K81DJ, but (at a much higher price) the Sennheiser HD25 is a very nice portable headphone.

I find it curious that you're looking at K271 vs. E4C. I would say that the K271's sonic presentation (with a good amp) is more comparable to an Ety earphone, quite neutral and detailed (and to some ears, though not mine, bland or thin). The E4C is preferred by people who like a "fuller" sound, and those folks typically would not like the K271's presentation.

What are you looking for sonically?

Aug 15, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Hmmm basically i'm looking for headphones that are comfortable for long sessions of listening (got a 10 hours train journey in a week), durable with a good seal and that will blow my mind away compared to the Koss UR 29.

I couldn't pinpoint exactly what i'm looking for sonically since i haven't listened to any of the better headphones this world has to offer. If it can help i mostly listen to music like Modest Mouse, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai and so on, the good indie & post-rock out there!

Episiarch, about the Sennheiser HD 25, would you have to use a portable amp or they sound just fine without one?

Thanks again for all the great advices! keep em coming!

Aug 15, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 8
HD25 is indeed really nice without an amp.

For a long ride, though, I'd find IEMs more comfortable than any headphone*. The E4C is, IMO, very comfortable. And yes, will probably blow your mind away compared to your Koss (though I understand the Koss is perfectly nice for the price).

Personally I much prefer the Etymotic ER-6i to the E4C, but my sense is that people with your musical tastes lean more to the E4 sound.

I'm a little surprised, BTW, that I haven't seen a flurry of E4C sales on the FS board. I thought lots of people would be unloading them to buy E500s.

[size=xx-small]*well, any isolating headphone. The PX100 is like wearing nothing and is very comfortable, and the Sony SA's are very light on the head, but neither will keep the music in and the train noise out.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back