AKG 26k or Sennheiser 212 pro or Something Else (Bassy)
Dec 10, 2005 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pizzaman88

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new to the forums but I have been searching and researching much for the past few days.

I've been looking to upgrade from my mx 500's which are nice, but i need some real cans now.

As a highschool student I have a budget of $50 and I'm looking for good sealed cans with good bass. I need isolation because of the bus and once i go to college i'd like to block out loud noises while moving about. Portability will be very very helpful as well.

I listen to a lot of rock/rap and a rarely to slower acoustic/orchestral music (though i play cello haha)

From headroom the AKG's seemed pefect but from what I read here, supposedly the new AKG 26K's suck or are just muddy and the Sennheiser 212 pros have too much bass.

I considered the px 200's but i guess they don't produce enough bass. I've never had "good" headphones in my life so this will be a new experience i'm looking forward to.

Anywhoo, which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
580smile.gif

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 7
I've heard the hd212 and yes, they are extremely bassy. I'd like to know if the AKG k26p are as bassy as the 212.

BTW, it appears that with the current selection of OTH, small, closed, isolating phones, a compromise in sound must be made for the portability.

Jan 15, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm in almost the same position: I want some cheap, closed headphones and have been looking at the K26P, HD212, HD200, DT231 etc.

Currently using K14P (earbuds) and PX100s which sound good, but are open and really uncomfortable after an hour's use (my ears become really hot due to the foam).

Is the bass on the HD212 accurate or is it just muddy? I don't like the idea of closed supra-aurals due to the contact with the ears so that rules out the K26P and PX200s.

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 7
pizzaman88, just out of intrest, given you need isolation have you considered IEMs?

Also depending on where you live it might be worth looking at Audio Technica ATH-FC7s or Creative HQ1700 (these are the same cans just rebadged by Creative with different ear pads). I think these sound better than the AKGs your looking at. They're also good for portable use as they fold up. However if you have to import them they may go over your budget.

EDIT: These are Supraaurals and do come rather close to your ear so no good for HermesPanduck I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back