Akg 240s: Did I make a mistake
Jan 6, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 43
If you want to talk about weird driver setups, take a look at the K340. I am anxiously anticipating the arrival of mine. Should be interesting to see how they hold up as I have heard many conflicting views on them. Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Yup, that's an oldie - in its time it was a goldie, too... I think, sales stopped, when the K400 and K500 were intruduced in the early '90s. I 'd recommend not to buy it for more than US$ 30.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
elrod-tom, I have the k340s and heard the K1000s at the NYC Head-Fi meet. To my ears, it's a MAJOR upgrade. No contest really. But the K340s look a helluva lot better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
To my ears, the K340s exhibit a richer, fuller sound, particularly in the lower midrange, than the K501s. I also prefer them to the HD600s, which I no longer have. The Beyers that I have, along with the Grados, are brighter sounding 'phones.
Again, the two things for me that set the K340s apart are the soundstage and the midrange. There is a depth to the music that is not present with a lot of other 'phones. And the Sugden drives them quite nicely........the more power the better.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
My K340 mate very, very well with my RKV (which is not the commercial version but the older kit). The midrange is liquid as angels' songs in heaven and the bass is terrific. I don't wanna try any other combo's anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
I've a pair [of k340's], without akg on the headband. Changed the cables, clearly cleaned this thing up. I sold both HD580 and K501 when I got that pair. It's clearly superior to both IMHO. Out of a tube amp, the mids are just so right. Bass don't go as far as other cans but the pattern of small drivers gives it an interesting weight.

These two threads have lots of discussion of them as well:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=k340
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=k340

Jan 6, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
But then they have a pair of HD650 in that very shop.......
confused.gif

It's destiny. As they say that Lord works in a mysterious way. And remember team Ramen is accepting new members.
wink.gif

Mission speakers can wait later. After all this waiting period you need to treat yourself with better details.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
It's destiny. As they say that Lord works in a mysterious way. And remember team Ramen is accepting new members.
wink.gif

Mission speakers can wait later. After all this waiting period you need to treat yourself with better details.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I like the imprint of your argument
wink.gif
... it does make sense ...
580smile.gif

Edit: It was destiny !! Just called the shop > no 595 anytime soon > last pair of HD650 available > "...a crazy price" > 199€ (brand new!) >
a sweet chill... > "They're mine-."

Jan 7, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Edit: It was destiny !! Just called the shop > no 595 anytime soon > last pair of HD650 available > "...a crazy price" > 199€ (brand new!) >
a sweet chill... > "They're mine-."

You're kidding !! $260 ??? How very very lucky ...
eek.gif

600smile.gif

Sorry for using akg bandwith, and we're back to 240 drivers.

Jan 7, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #35 of 43
To summarize, yeah the K240S are good "rock" phones. Warm, somewhat 'closed', punchy. A bit hard to drive though, as was noted. Handles volume well. Fairly comfy for most wearers, with large pads, a big headband but not too much weight. I guess saying they are the JBL (classic line) of the can world is about right.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
The drivers are too small. Usually, headphones on that price range have bigger drivers to deliver better sound. Do yourself a favor, and take one pad off and you will see what I mean. Is like a big truck with a 4 cylinder motor.
Return it or exchange it. It is not worth the money you paid. Sorry.

Actually, there are plenty of 4 cyl diesel engines used in commercial trucks and large boats.

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
Guys, good design cans have the driver’s size in a direct proportion to the distance from them to the ear drum. That's why canal phones sound better (closer to the ear drum) and they use small drivers.

Canalphones use small drivers because that's only way they're going to fit in one's ear.

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #38 of 43
i had the pleasure of trying wodgy's 240s (NOT the 240m or 240df) at a meet. they were my favorite new can i heard there, right behind the ety er4s. they are in fact, next on my list. with a meta42 the 240s was musical and engaging, not subtle but really fun.

Jan 8, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
they are in fact, next on my list. with a meta42 the 240s was musical and engaging, not subtle but really fun.

Well... uhm... yeah... hmmm... right... errr.... good idea! So... oh my... welcome... where was I? ... to Team Groovalizer, then!

Know what, man: It's really difficult to compose a relevant answer being mesmerized by that avatar of yours!
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #40 of 43
Hey ! Focus, fooocus ....
tongue.gif

Now here's some nice pictures to take off your not-so-clean mind from ... ugh ... that ... mmm yeah ... avatarhh .. :

506 - small
k506.jpg

271 - small and ok
k271s.jpg

501- large
k501.jpg

If these don't help, next time i'll post a moving picture.
wink.gif

Actually I'm quite surprised that 271s use 1" driver, well, a good sounding one for sure.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #41 of 43
Now, these are beautiful, harmonious curves (the drivers')
icon10.gif

Nak Man, thanks for sharing them with us!
smily_headphones1.gif

My K141S' drivers actually look extremely similar (well, identical) to K271's & K506's.
So it's a shame they are so and so as to their balance, with their excessive midbass (& slightly defective treble-) energy , grrrrrr!!

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #42 of 43
i have just finished my first full day with the k240s's and i have to say i ran the gammut. when i first got them and plugged them directly in to my soundcards headphone jack i was dissapointed. low volume and muddy sound. ok so load up the pimeta and let her rip. they came alive. but i need more gain (presently set at 3, not a lot of volume when maxxed out) to really appreciate them. theyre a hard to drive pair of cans no doubt.

now after 24 hrs of constant use (some on my head, some with pink noise being funnelled through them) they seem to have loosened up a bit. the detail and soundstage are there and i appreciate the way they are somewhat less forceful then many cans out there. i like their light weight and comfort when worn for 12hrs + in one go.

i bought these primarily in the hope that they would match the sound of my krk's better then my ultrasones, and i have to say thus far im pleased with them for that task. theyre not the perfect can, but the krk's aren't the perfect near field either. but they do give a similar reproduction to each other and thats what i want. im about to build a new pimeta with more gain and a dynalo so that should help out a bit. i can't listen to these cans unamped yet (may need more burn in time, i dunno), they really do need that extra push from an amp to bring them to life and give the presentation i enjoy from them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #43 of 43
lini... you are getting sleepy... now pack your gear in a box... send it to meeeeee...

precioussssss....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back