AKG 240M?
Oct 29, 2001 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DesBen

100+ Head-Fier
110890-front-medium.jpg

Here an old standard we don't hear much about. From the few reviews I read, it seems like they have a non-fatiguing sound (yet detailed), are very comfortable and very well built. For about $100, and sometimes as low as $80, wouldn't it be a killer headphone for long listening sessions?

Now, it's 600 Ohms (!). However some folks at Headwize claim their portable can drive them at descent levels. You think it'd be fine using the output of a receiver? Would these drain the batteries too quickly on a JMT amp?

What do you think? All those studios can't be wrong!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Because of their high impedance, I would think the portable wouldn't be able to get as much power to the headphones, increasing battery life. My EE skills are somewhat lacking however, I only have 1 semester's worth.

Oct 29, 2001 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 8
It may definatly DECREASE battery life, using high-impedance headphones, since they draw more power.

Someone around here has these I think.. And loves them. Where is he?

Oct 29, 2001 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 8
Alright.. For portable, they don't seem like the best. They are fairly big anyway. I wonder what the sound would be like out of a receiver? Mine has a quite powerful headphone jack. At position 2 (out of 10) it gets too loud with my grados.

I'm sure someone has heard these cans... How is the sound?

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Mhm, the K240M was a nice headphone - in its time. Nowadays I'd advise everybody to get a K501 (airy!), a beyerdynamic DT531 (groovy!!!), a Grado SR80 (funky!!), a Philips HP890 (hifi!!) or maybe even a K240S (whatever...), instead. The K240M is indeed non-fatiguing, but it severely lacks extension. Efficiency is better than might be exspected from a 600-ohm-phone, but nonetheless not quite enough for all-purpose portable use. Potential K240-problems: 1. Hot ears - after ~ 1 1/2 - 2 hours of use. 2. Heavy ears - rubber suspension of automatic headband usually gives up after 1 1/2 - 2 years of use. 3. Sweaty ears - after 2 3/4 - 3 1/3 hours of use. 4.) Boredom - after 3 3/4 - 4 43/67 years of use. So, hey, why don't you get a beyerdynamic DT531, instead. That's a really good headphone. Recommended!

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: By the way, the K501 is a nice headphone, too. But it gets boring after only ~ 3 years. And the SR80 is not comfy enough. And the HP890 might show a heavy-ears-problem. I guess, the DT531 would be a good choice. And it would work at least as good as a K240M out of the headphone jack of a receiver. But you could also try the brand new K240S...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back