akg 240...why so many variations?
Sep 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #16 of 24
My only experiance with senns is the HD555, and well, they where good for 5 years, but when I heard the K240DF, well... no comparison, the HD555 seriously suck next to the DF's.
The HD600 must be a different story.
But if the HD555 has the Sennheiser "house" sound senns are not for me, too much colouring and way too dark and distant for my taste, it's like they impose the same kind of atmosphere on everything played on them, while the K240DF is true to the material.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 24
Oh yeah sorry for the thread hijack :-S

Having only heard the K240DF and the K242HD, and knowing the K240 Studio, K240mkII and K242HD are pretty much the same... and having read that the K240 Monitor is more similar to the Studio than the DF and Sextett, I'd say it's gone downhill.
The K242HD is a decent headphone, but nothing to get all excited about, in my opinion.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #18 of 24
I've been a musician since the age of 12(drums/percussion, then guitar for 30 years), and the DF's sound closest of all I've heard to how instruments sound when you hear them played live...in person. FWIR the hd600's are used to master classical music, so they must be a different beast than the 555's. But FWIR they are more distant/'veiled' than the DF...probably by quite a bit.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 24
The 240S is not just overly 'boomy' in the upper bass region, but it's less transparent and detailed than the DF. If you eq out some of the upper bass it improves enough to make it fun for casual listening, IMO. A fellow head-fi'er told me the sextett(he has the MP) doesn't have the boominess of the newer versions of the k240. I'd love to hear that one for myself one day.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a musician since the age of 12(drums/percussion, then guitar for 30 years), and the DF's sound closest of all I've heard to how instruments sound when you hear them played live...in person.

Wow this definitely talks in great favour of the DF's, but it doesn't surprise me much, I have been composing electronic music for 8-9 years, nothing special, just a hobby of mine, and since I got the DF's it has become much easier to produce a good balanced sound quality.

Oh and about the Sextett, there must be something really special about those, they have a reputation as the star of the K240 series, but from what I have read, I'm not so sure I'd agree.
But as with everything else, it must be a matter of taste, the Sextett for those who like lush coloured sound and the DF for those who want neutrality.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow this definitely talks in great favour of the DF's, but it doesn't surprise me much, I have been composing electronic music for 8-9 years, nothing special, just a hobby of mine, and since I got the DF's it has become much easier to produce a good balanced sound quality.

Oh and about the Sextett, there must be something really special about those, they have a reputation as the star of the K240 series, but from what I have read, I'm not so sure I'd agree.
But as with everything else, it must be a matter of taste, the Sextett for those who like lush coloured sound and the DF for those who want neutrality.

I haven't heard the high end Senns yet, but I doubt I would favor them over the DF. FWIR they are somewhat more warm and laid back, and I prefer to be right up front in the first row seats listening to the band. I've read similar about the Sextett...the DF is more neutral with better treble and more transparency. I want to read up more on the Diffuse Field(DF) technology. That may be part of what make the 240DF so realistic sounding...at least to my ears. To get back to the OP, the newer k240's are not in the same league with the 240DF, and FWIR, not in the same league with the 240 sextett either. Someone else will have to fill in the blanks on the 600ohm 240 Monitor. I know almost nothing about them except that they were a staple in music studios for a lot of years.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #22 of 24
I recently acquired a pair of DF's. From what I've heard thus far (not well amped) I'm pretty astounded. They're great, even if not loud. I'm building a First Watt F1 which I intend to use to amp them. I'll let you know more when I'm done.

As for the DF's compared to the hd600, I'm pretty sure I prefer the DF's. I'll know for sure once I amp them properly. The senns (and most headphones on this website for that matter) though I haven't heard them balanced, are highly overrated. There are far better headphones for the around same price (dt48's, stax lambda's, koss ep950's)

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #23 of 24
I'd love to read your comparison once you get the amp done. I'm using the emu 0404 with the DF's. I'm wondering if it might be worth upgrading the amp...though the DF's sound pretty amazing in all areas but the bass, which is on the light side. I just listened to some old jazz last night(Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennet, Frank sinatra) and you hear all the subtle nuances of the vocals... the horn sections...strings...fantastic drums...everything!

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #24 of 24
So far my K240DF's have scaled incredibly well with every amp upgrade, the Little dot mkV really opened up their soundstage compared to my old H/K PM665, directly out of the weakish AudioTrak ProDigy CUBE they sound kind of tame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back