AKG 240 Studio how good are they?
Feb 7, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorlakk3.v /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I suppose any used K-240M on e-Bay will not have the kind of mileage mine has seen. Since they've been discontinued, I wonder if people will feel the need to charge more for them. Guess I'll just have to take a look.

I don't use my K240M anymore. They were purchased new somewhere around 2002. They're in very good condition with approx. 200 hours of use.

If you have trouble finding a decent K240M on ebay or whatever and really need them, PM me and maybe we could work a fair deal. Even though I no longer use them, I've decided to keep them because I honestly don't need to sell them for funding more stuff (
evil_smiley.gif
) I figure I might use them some day . If I can help out a fellow headphone junkie
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 40
Thanks, GreatDane. I've bookmarked this thread so I can refer back to it with relative ease. I'll keep your offer in mind
eggosmile.gif

After 15 or so years, I just can't see myself using any headphone other than the K-240M. The one time I tried to make a change (the Grado SR-60) the silly things broke in a matter of months.

Thanks again.

Feb 7, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 40
You're welcome.

The K240M was my first taste of "real" headphones. It was the late 70's I think when I first used them. I was about 12 years old at the time and enjoyed listening to my fathers new toy.
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #20 of 40
I've liked the K240M in its prime time (a lot more thanthe somewhat sterile K240DF), but I like the K240S a lot more nowadays. It sounds pretty correct as soon as the overall plush colouration becomes transparent by being used to it...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
600ohms versus 50ohms. Marginally? Qualitywise perhaps, but not volume. Though i do understand that impedance doesnt tell the whole story.

sure, it's better to give 240s an amp..., even though low impedence

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K240S is later model, based on old K240M.

K240M was harder to drive and had flat sound, where K240S has boosted bass and easier to drive. Also treble is bit recessed.

Overall sound is pleasant to listen. Sweet mids and highs, but bass is bit slow. Strong, but not focused.

is there any same price range headphone can give a better bass performance?

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinlle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any same price range headphone can give a better bass performance?

K81DJ--punchier but still very upfront.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K81DJ--punchier but still very upfront.

Yup. Also soundsignature is surprisingly similar to K240S, though less refined and so on.

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #25 of 40
Okay, so I'm thinking of buying the 240S as my first real headphone. Are they really as bad as you say, or is it that you all are used to better phones?

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so I'm thinking of buying the 240S as my first real headphone. Are they really as bad as you say, or is it that you all are used to better phones?

I don't think the K240S is bad at all. It isn't as accurate as my DT-880 for instance but it's a fun headphone with no glaring faults. I'd say its strong point is its mids.

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't care for them. Bass was a bit bloated and wasn't punchy enough for me and the otherwise decent mids felt sucked out of the range. Add on sibliant highs as well. They weren't bad (tested well with electronica and hip-hop) but they weren't for me.

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #28 of 40
Ok, that's good. I think I will buy them then. And I'm pretty sure that I will be satisfied with almost any (better) can.

May 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #29 of 40
I like my K240S a lot. I don't see where the comments about the sibiliant highs come from, neither the bad comments on the bass. I can hear bass very clearly with those and this is what I was looking for when I bought them. Of course they're a bit bloated in the mid-bass region, but for the price you pay, it's an incredible deal. The mids are great and the highs are pristine for this price range. They require amplification very badly and are very hard to drive though.

May 13, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #30 of 40
Philco, as a new owner of a pair of 240S', I am realizing that I need an amp. Not needing a portable per se, but considering the Hornet, the HeadRoom Micro, or the Pico. May I ask what you use to drive yours? Any other recommendations from other owners?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back