AKG 240 Monitor 600Ohm
Aug 23, 2007 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Malakei

100+ Head-Fier
Has anybody had experience with these headphones?
I have a pair of these as well as a pair of the studio series 240s in my recording studio. Very neutral sounding to my ear. Anyhow, i was thinking why not compare them to the allesandro ms2s but then when i hooked them up to my portable rig, i could barely get them to listening volume, and a low listening volume at that. I had no idea these were so power hungry, i know they are 600 ohm but arent the 650s 600 as well? ive never had a problem driving headphones before. I suppose the ultimate test would be hooking up the ipod to my studio headphone amp which will adequately drive the monitors but i dont know if the quality of amp is there. just a simple ALTO cheap one.

anyways, anything to be said about these? I dont hear much praise or even talk about akg headphones on this forum and i was always curious as they are pretty well known in the recording world not to mention i think they are the most comfortable out of the cans ive used.

is it possible to use these or the studios as part of a portable rig? are the studios much of a downgrade from the monitors?

so many questions.

I would originally be using them with a LDM+ and a Cowon x5, i dont think the monitors will play to my desired volume, studios will but at what sacrifice in SQ, maybe i should just buy some grados and mod the pads.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 9
hi
i use the AKG 240M they are indeed very neutral sounding and thats why i love them and because they are very comfortable in use.
when i use them with my Ipod i have to put the volume all the way up because i think as you mentioned they are a bit power hungry.( i m in europe and i think the output from the Ipod s are reduced to meet the regulations maybe that s a reason why i have to go high in volume )
I m looking to upgrade the headphone sound from the 240M, not sure what to do, i can buy new headphones or buy a headphone amp and keep using my 240 M in combination with the Cyrus setup i use at home.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 9
There's plenty of AKG talk here - there is just significantly more sennheiser and grado talk.

The K240M is a headphone a lot of us have or have had. It's pretty good, neutral as gaudio has said, not very bassy.

As you have noticed, it needs something that can swing a lot more than the 1.5 volts or so that your portable rig does.

Your ALTO studio amp should drive the K240-M just fine, as should most anything else that plugs into the wall.

There are many versions of the K240-M and the version i have is the very oldest, but i find that i like the K240-DF better.

At any rate, all of these are discontinued, the K240-S isn't very good, so the newer AKG 'phones that people get excited about are the K601 and K701.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say what?

Fitz is right (as in all things AKG
biggrin.gif
) IMHO I think the talk about the older AKG headphones on Head-Fi is a major factor in E-Bay pricing. No lack of interest here or there.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fitz is right (as in all things AKG
biggrin.gif
) IMHO I think the talk about the older AKG headphones on Head-Fi is a major factor in E-Bay pricing. No lack of interest here or there.

It is my secret get rich scheme. I find a good AKG (which is not hard; I bought a bag of doritos last week and at the bottom found another AKG I haven't seen before) and buy a lot of them. Once I have cornered the used AKG market, then I tell people about how good the headphones are so the demand goes up. When people want a pair so bad they are hiring hitmen on other people bidding against them (hitman is cheaper than bidding wars), I slowly leak some of my pairs back into the market and make buku bucks.

Aug 24, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

It is my secret get rich scheme. I find a good AKG (which is not hard; I bought a bag of doritos last week and at the bottom found another AKG I haven't seen before) and buy a lot of them. Once I have cornered the used AKG market, then I tell people about how good the headphones are so the demand goes up. When people want a pair so bad they are hiring hitmen on other people bidding against them (hitman is cheaper than bidding wars), I slowly leak some of my pairs back into the market and make buku bucks.

Time to leak some Sextetts and DFs.
biggrin.gif

The best thing about the 240 series is that I don't have to raid the kid's college fund and get spousal approval when I want to buy and try.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Well, it seems to be working. A pair of K240M is at >$100 right now on ebay. I thought they were around $50 last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back