AKG 240 for portable use?
May 26, 2004 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

eastsidemetalhd

100+ Head-Fier
... hi everyone, am thinking of getting some new cans; would you guys recommend the AKG 240 for portable use in my case?

- will be using it unamped with a portable CDP
- will be used mainly for rock/metal, and some hip-hop
- will be carried in a backpack (so unwieldy, Grado-like cords are out)

am currently using the Senn PX200, which i find to be ok, but have difficulty getting a good seal. would like something full-sized with some isolation (not essential though).

also, am still wondering what the difference is between the 240S and 240M? (in layman's terms, that is
biggrin.gif
) thanks in advance...

May 26, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 15
I'd imagine it may prove to be a tricky can to drive from a portable. When I was listening to it yesterday, I was listening at 12 o clock from the Perreaux, so its not that efficient.

As for the K240M vs K240S, the former I believe is 600 ohm and 88 db sensitivity. The latter is 55 ohm and 91 db sensitivity. While the chances of you being able to adequately drive the K240S with a portable are slim, the chances of you being able to drive the K240M with a portable are non-existant. Sonically, the two are meant to differ, with the K240S having more bass. Having said that, the K240M must be frightfully lightweight in the bass if it has less than the K240S IMHO, as I do not find the K240S to have anywhere near as much bass as some people say (but then, I never even found the DT770 to have as much bass as people say - hell I must be a basshead!!).

May 26, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Paul: You have to give the K240S a little more time... Bass will come. But you're right, not even the K240S is good for portable use - with anything less than 2x 20 mW it will sound wimpy and flabby... I'd recommend a DT440 for portable, instead.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 26, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 15
Even so, Lini, I am not sure they are my cup of tea I'm afraid. They sound too claustrophobic after the CD3000 (I felt the same way too, after making the move from DT880 to K271), and are just too laid back - they simply dont have the get up and go that the DT531's seem to have, IMO of course.

As it stands, when I first got them, they did seem to have a bassier balance than the CD3000, but now that they are starting to run in, bass is maybe slightly fatter than the lean CD3000, but they simply dont have the same slam. For the second time, a headphone that was going to be a potential replacement for the CD3000 has just made me realise that at heart I probably am a CD3000 man.
3000smile.gif

But I'll always have time for the DT531.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 15
Ya know, it's hardly audiophile, but for a big huge soundstage and a sound that shouldn't get on your nerves, the Philips 890s might be worth a go. Of course, I've not tried them hooked to the Perreaux, they're strictly my late-night tv cans.

The only problem I have is that they're about the same price as the dt531s, and judging from my previous Beyer experience, the dt531s are going to be a lot better. But maybe if you found the 890s on sale. I managed to grab a pair for €40.00 new.

edit - well..I should add it shouldn't get on your nerves if you don't listen critically. I found the highs to be a tad brittle and fatiguing at times.

May 26, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 15
I just got a used pair of 240m's yesterday, and pbirkett is right about the driving issue. I tried it with a few of my friend's cdps, and at max volume it was still rather quiet, and the bass was nonexistent.
However, my Rio Karma can drive it rather well, oddly enough.
I don't think the bass on the 240m is that bad, though. I consider myself to be somewhat of a basshead, but it's pretty strong.

May 26, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 15
I wouldnt recommend the K240S driven from a portable in most cases, but it can be done... I find that my av320 drives both of my AKG headphones with authority... but have found little else that does so... even though, there is a huge difference when moving to my home system

pbirkett... I think you should give you self some time with the K240S man... you went from I LOVE IT to I HATE IT in no time... you might swing back
biggrin.gif

...and I've never found the bass lacking on the K240S or the K271S
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
I just got a used pair of 240m's yesterday, and pbirkett is right about the driving issue. I tried it with a few of my friend's cdps, and at max volume it was still rather quiet, and the bass was nonexistent.
However, my Rio Karma can drive it rather well, oddly enough.
I don't think the bass on the 240m is that bad, though. I consider myself to be somewhat of a basshead, but it's pretty strong.

If you got an K240m, it's no wonder they were rather quiet even at maximum volume as they are 600 Ohm phones...

The K240s though are 55 Ohm phones and - from a mere technical point of view - should work with any portable equipment. Of course - like probably any headphone - they will work better through a dedicated amp.

May 26, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastsidemetalhd
- will be carried in a backpack (so unwieldy, Grado-like cords are out)

I'm a little confused as to why people feel this way about the Grado phones. I purchased the SR-60 specificly for portable/laptop use and I haven't had any inconveniences carrying them around (especially the cord). If you are going to put them in a backpack, then I miss your logic by an even larger margin.

If you are looking for ultra portable or something to use while running/working out/etc then I see your point. Otherwise, am I the one that's missing something?

May 26, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL
If you got an K240m, it's no wonder they were rather quiet even at maximum volume as they are 600 Ohm phones...

The K240s though are 55 Ohm phones and - from a mere technical point of view - should work with any portable equipment. Of course - like probably any headphone - they will work better through a dedicated amp.

Indeed.
I was surprised that the Karma drove it well, though.

May 26, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Paul: You have to give the K240S a little more time... Bass will come. But you're right, not even the K240S is good for portable use - with anything less than 2x 20 mW it will sound wimpy and flabby... I'd recommend a DT440 for portable, instead.

That may be true, as far as efficiency is concerned. However, I've found that most of today's portables are unable to properly drive even low-impedance, extremely high-efficiency headphones (assuming an accurate, relatively flat response of the headphones themselves). That's due to the very low current output capability of those portables. The lower the headphone inpedance is, the greater the current draw from a given headphone circuit. And when a portable player runs out of current, the bass response will roll off sharply. Which is why most low-impedance, ultra-high-efficiency headphones artificially boost the bass response (especially the mid-bass) in order to compensate for the low current output capacity of weak portables -- but when those same headphones are being played back on better, more powerful equipment, those same headphones will sound flabby and muddy due to excessive mid-bass bloat. As a result, the best headphones to mate with portables are medium-impedance (50 to 100 Ohms) headphones that have a relatively high sensitivity rating (and thus a very or extremely high efficiency rating).

That said, I did try the K240S on my Sony MZ-E10 MD portable and my Sony D-NE300 PCDP. While the MD portable could barely drive the K240S (as expected - duh), the PCDP surprisingly could drive the K240S to a moderate loudness level. That despite the seemingly equal 2x 5mW output spec for both players.

May 26, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 15
My Ipod Mini (30mW) does a decent job of driving the K240S to the point of being groovy. However, I notice the vocals are a bit recessed and can't help but feel like their true potential won't be reached without a decent amp.

May 26, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 15
I think the 240S can be driven to reasonable volumes out of portable sources, though they do sound better given more power. If you are not an audiophile, and esp in an outdoor/noisy situation, you might not even notice deficiencies in sound.

However, with respect to your requirements:

* I don't think AKG 240S are particular suited to backpack carrying. The earcups are big, and they don't fold up in any way. Also, while they are built for durability in terms of getting on and off your head a lot, the headband is a wire/leather construction, and I'm not sure they would stand up well to daily poking and pressure from other things in your backpack.

* They don't provide much isolation from outside noise. More than a completely unsealed design (Grado, eg), but only a tad.

* I think though they are groovy, they are a little laid-back and might not suit everyone, esp with high-energy music such as rock and hip-hop. Depends on what you listen for in the music, I guess.

I suggest maybe checking out

* Senn HD280 -- full-sized earcups, foldable design, same price range or less ($80 - $100 new)
* Ultrasone HFI-700 -- full-size earcups, foldable, lots of bass; more expensive.
* Senn HD25-1 -- supra-aural (I believe); also expensive, but apparently a pretty fine-sounding and durable headphone that blocks outside noise while being compact.

Also maybe Sony V6/7506 or especially Sony Eggo would be worth looking at on the more compact side. The HD280 and HFI-700 both fold up for better stowage but are apparently quite large nonetheless, not particularly low-profile.

As an aside, I actually think that as open phones go, Grados, with their simple headband and lay-flat design, are actually very good in terms of packability. Plus, though the cord isn't great for walking around with, it stows nicely because you don't have to worry about it getting tangled.

May 27, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by v_1matst
I'm a little confused as to why people feel this way about the Grado phones. I purchased the SR-60 specificly for portable/laptop use and I haven't had any inconveniences carrying them around (especially the cord). If you are going to put them in a backpack, then I miss your logic by an even larger margin.

If you are looking for ultra portable or something to use while running/working out/etc then I see your point. Otherwise, am I the one that's missing something?

actually, i have a pair of SR80s which were used as portable phones for awhile, but i guess i got paranoid about them falling apart. especially with the free spinning cups which would somehow take 3-4 turns around everytime i put them in/out; worries about 'grattle' and disconnections eventually got the better of me and they got relegated for home use only.

as for the cord, you gotta admit that it's really stiff & long (man this sounds obscene
biggrin.gif
), and it was a pain just trying to fit it all in my backpack when on the move. maybe i just need a bigger backpack hahaha.

thanks for the suggestions slchang and plainsong; will check them out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back