AKG 240 cable repairable/replaceable?
Nov 23, 2006 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

z_accoustics

New Head-Fier
I have a AKG 240 which I really like but the chord is pretty messed up. I called a local shop and they said phone cables are too difficult to repair. I called AKG and no one returned my call. Is there someone around here who can do it or other suggestions on how to not call this a total loss?

thanks

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Under the left ear-cup's emblem is a single screw which removes the cover that conceals the wiring.
If you can solder it is an easy task to DIY.

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 10
I am pretty sure the AKG K240 has a detachable cable.

0020120242_2130.jpg

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 10
It depends on the model of K240... some are detachable and some are hardwired.

Nov 23, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 10
z_a: You'll need to identify your K240 version - the older models (Sextett, Monitor (M), DF) all have hardwired cables, while the newer Studio (S) version features a detachable cable. The latter comes in two variants, though: The initial version had a 2.5 mm micro plug (that's the version you can see in mrarroyo's picture), which was then changed to Mini-XLR with the introduction of the K271S - that version is internally named K240 Studio II, but not marketed as such. In any case, the next best step would be to download AKG's service documentation for the K240 from their site (go: Library -> Download -> Service Documentation - doesn't work for me at the moment, though: I get an error message...): K240_m_stu4055d215ac91a.pdf is the latest version I have. In there you will find the appropriate replacement part numbers for all K240 models, so you can order these via dealer or directly from AKG.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 24, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am not at home right now so i can't take a pic of the phones but it definetly does not have a detachable cable and it's at least 5 years old, so old and worn that the model number on the sides is not readable. I'll inspect them when i get home and post some pics. thanks again.

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 10
That's a K240M(onitor). Looks like this one would need at least a new cable, but also new earpads and new elastic strings for the self-adjusting headband - considering that, it might be smarter and cheaper to look for another used one in good condition than repairing this one with original spare parts.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back