AKG 181DJ or HD25?
Dec 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

slazenger

New Head-Fier
I have been through a lot of posts and did a lot of searching but really could not find a consensus when comparing these 2 headphones (including the 15 closed headphone review). I have mainly narrowed my choices to these two because they seem to offer isolation, build quality, and portability to be my next headphone. Now I am kinda stuck between which one I should pick. There is really no place to demo either of them from where I live, so I am hoping Head-Fi can help me make this decision.

I am looking for something that is
*portable
*durable
*good for a lot of music genres (mostly acoustic, rock, piano)

Thanks in advance

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Have hd 25 1 for 6 years , they are best build 'phones ! Indestructible and if something breaks which is not going to happen you can buy every part separately. Very punchy , well balanced , cool looking , unbelievable isolation/comfort and portability. They are better in every aspect than akg k181 dj but at 200 $ overpriced !
For your music taste think that neither of these headphones will suit you well because they have small soundstage(closed headphones) not so detailed for acoustic and piano but good with rock !
Would recommend triple fi 10 170 $ on amazon !
They are not so durable but if you use them with care you should be very happy !

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 14
dont want to deal with anything in ears so posted here =)

My biggest problems with cheap headphones has been cheap build quality more than anything else but thanks for your advice. I am willing to make some sacrafices in sound quality if it means I dont have to bring something huge a long with me (Although the SRH840s do look someone enticing)

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 14
One of the posts by Pianist this week or the past week, in one of the other threads (I can't remember which), he mentioned that he prefers the sound sig of the k181dj to the hd25 and gave his reasons. He has both. A search might help you there. Or you could PM him I guess.

I've had the 181 for more than a year now and only have the SP version of the HD25 so I can't help you with a comparison. But I can say that the 15 closed headphone review you mentioned is spot on about the SQ of the 181. I would emphasize that it gets painful to wear after thirty mintutes. Loosening the headband kills the bass significantly. The 280pro earpad comfort mod doesn't really work with my ears since it changes the SQ.

I would suggest the Q40 with a large caveat that it has an established QC problem with its cable (which I personally haven't experienced since its replaceable like the 181). It sounds like the 181 but has a better high end that doesn't hurt after listening to it for long periods. It folds into a nice portable ball shape if you don't mind bringing a bag large enough to put it in.

Hope this helps.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 14
After looking around at the Q40, it seems to have some issues with reliability or at least there have been a couple instances where it seemed like the headphone died on them. The physical build quality and looks seem to be very good but I would rather not deal with that.

In your opinion how are the mids and soundstage on k181?

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Not too worried with price, I did see the ebay prices though but both are in my budget so yeah. I see people say that the AKG 181DJ is better but there really are not too many reviews on it, unlike the HD25.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slazenger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After looking around at the Q40, it seems to have some issues with reliability

Yeah. Some owners are reporting cable failures, it's Achilles heel. It's a shame 'cause it sounds so good despite the reported failures. It has a tempered bass that isn't as in your face as the 181 with the large bass switch on. It's prominent, but works because it gives some weight to the music and slam when called for. And it never overpowers the mids or highs. It resolves details so well. Importantly for me, it's highs aren't as harsh as the 181. Live recordings are so much fun with it. It has the same smiley EQ sig of the 181.

The 181's mids to me are slightly recessed when the Large bass effect switch is on. It's less so when the switch is off, but music suddenly becomes lifeless. It's in your face with a small soundstage. It's bright to my ears. Painful for long listening because of the treble.

Don't get me wrong, for thirty minute (maybe an hour) listening sessions...it's really, really good. Techno, Trance...oddly enough, even symphonies/orchestral scores are good on it. I don't like it with rock. Jazz...Diana Krall...passable.

The srh840 and the Q40 are better all rounders, with the Q40 sounding more fun with weight and body to the music that you can actually listen to the whole day.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for your response, yeah the Q40 did look decent but the cable failures (and read a couple cases of driver failures) has me kinda wanting something else.

I appreciate your perspective on the K181DJ since I was actually about to purchase it. Some people have stated that they liked it over the HD25. I am not too worried about soundstage but your other criticisms somewhat worry me. Maybe ill have to find a place to listen to these afterall somehow.... (2 hour car trip yay?). Regardless I understand Ill have to make sacrifices if I want something that is portable and sounds good so Ill have to see.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #11 of 14
I have the same problem with my Sennheiser HD 25 1's, because all dj headphones put quite a lot of pressure on your ear (to block out sound and stay on your head whilst moving violently like some dj's do), however it does start to annoy later, around the 1-1.5 hours mark.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 14
I owned both. K181 is built like crap. It disintegrated after 3 years of (extensive) use. cracks everywhere. However, I treated it rather harshly, so YMMV.
OTOH, I treat my HD25 the same way and it's still going strong.

Sound wise, I preferred K181 over the HD25 with stock/HD600/SilverDragon cables.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slazenger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your response

You're welcome. I hope you find the right pair of cans to enjoy the music you love!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back