Akai PD-X73 in da house!
Feb 8, 2003 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LamerDeluxe (tm)

500+ Head-Fier
Just received the Akai PD-X73 (=legendary Optimus 3400) today that I got from e-Bay for about $70.

Getting used to the sound, playing some CDs using the headphone-out and my Aiwa ED700s.

First impressions: Very 3-dimensional soundstage, very wide, detailed and very natural sound. The headphone-out compares favourably to that of the D-25s and the Denon DCP-150.

The Denon headphone-out has a full sound, but the treble is a bit recessed, leading to some loss in detail and soundstage. The D-25s is bright and detailed, but loses a bit in the mids and bass.

The Akai seems pretty portable to me, it's smaller than I expected and quite light, it also doesn't skip that easily.

The sound is really good running from four AA NiMH batteries internally, better than the 1500mAh adaptor.

The bassboost is crap, four settings with different bass and treble boosts, where the bass boost is way boomy and muddy and the treble is way too shrill.

The green backlight is nice
smily_headphones1.gif
As is the CD clamping system.

All-in-all I think it's an excellent player and I can see what all the fuss was about.

BTW: I seem to have won a Denon DCP-100 on e-Bay for only $8
eek.gif
I'm not going to cheer until I have received it, but that's pretty neat
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: The Denon DCP-150 is still running from a wall wart, so that might very well be hindering it's sound.

EDIT2: Just noticed the Akai housing says "dual digital filter", first time I've heard about a player that has that, maybe that's what makes this player's sound so special.

Feb 9, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 3
40 views and no replies yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Nobody here have a comment about the Akai/Optimus 3400?

I used the Denon DCP-150 with an external batterypack for the first time yesterday and the improvement in audio quality is amazing. It's headphone-out now beats the one of the Optimus/Akai very noticably.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 3
I will buy Akai on this week/
I hope that it has so great sound as 311 or Phillips 6829
Have the Akai an optical out?
I have find a very big article about 3400 on stereophiles site
Did you see it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back