AK240 vs Calyx M vs HM-901 vs Fiio X5 vs AK120 vs AK 120 II vs R10/DX100? Ultimate SQ match!
Jul 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kawaivpc1

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello guys,

Please choose a portable player which has the best sound quality regardless of their price, design, extra features, etc.
Which one sounds the best to you guys?

----------
Sony ZX1    +1

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 11
No love for the zx1? not that any would vote for it...

sorry, I forgot to add that. I think Sony's players can't compete with majority of players listed above in terms of sound quality. I remember someone mentioned that ZX1 sounds not much better than iPod Classic. I'm not sure if that's true, but based on their spec, I can guess that ZX1 isn't made for reference quality audio. I also see it as a media player, not a dedicated reference audio player. ZX1's trade title is "hi-rez mp3 player".
The poll is not editable. I will manually add ZX1 here.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 11
Havent heard any of these yet but I'm in the market for a portable player. Looking forward to thoughts and impressions.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 11
From the list, I only have heard Calyx M, so M is my choice.
gs1000.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 11
Why are you bumping your failed poll? Why is the X3 and the X5 in here, but not the DX50? Where are the iPod products, Sony products, that little square MP3 player without a screen that only plays WAV? Why are there so many AKs? Most people haven't heard all of these, so they will just vote for the one they own and this poll will have no resemblence as to which player has the best sound quality.

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 11
TS seems to have an 'unhealthy' obsession over this SQ of DAPs thingy.

Just take a look at all his/her recent posts & you'd know what I'm talking about.

There's so much more to a DAP than just SQ alone, IMO.

Anyway, won't post here any further.

Enjoy.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Why are you bumping your failed poll? Why is the X3 and the X5 in here, but not the DX50? Where are the iPod products, Sony products, that little square MP3 player without a screen that only plays WAV? Why are there so many AKs? Most people haven't heard all of these, so they will just vote for the one they own and this poll will have no resemblence as to which player has the best sound quality.

This is not a failed poll. I put the players which are dedicated for "reference / mastering quality audio". I don't care about other cheap mp3 players or iPod. iPod never can beat AK series or even DX90 and X3. 
Sony's players are not made for reference quality audio. Their newest model is just an mp3 player with high resolution support. Sony calls it "hi-rez mp3 player", not reference quality DAP.
AK series has received different reviews on each model. I've seen many people saying AK120 II sounds worse than AK120. That's why I have put them all.

Just vote!!!

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm not sure that this poll makes much sense due to the availability of the products.  It is very unlikely that anyone but a very few has heard more than a couple of these.  A vote is unlikely to be a fair comparison of all of the listed units.It would probably be better to illicit comparisons from people that have heard multiple units and then interpolate the results for the whole list. (if I think ak240>x5 and you think that x5>Calyx then, subject to a huge error margin for subjective tastes, you have a rough interpolated result that ak240>Calyx)

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 11
  I'm not sure that this poll makes much sense due to the availability of the products.  It is very unlikely that anyone but a very few has heard more than a couple of these.  A vote is unlikely to be a fair comparison of all of the listed units.It would probably be better to illicit comparisons from people that have heard multiple units and then interpolate the results for the whole list. (if I think ak240>x5 and you think that x5>Calyx then, subject to a huge error margin for subjective tastes, you have a rough interpolated result that ak240>Calyx)

That's partly true, but if many people vote here, we will be able to guess a bit at least.
I think many people on this site are rich. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back