Ak120, JH16 Pro Freq, and output Impedance in general
May 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Eric510

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Admittedly, I think I might be getting myself stuck in the weeds here but, I've found myself a bit confused about a few things and wanted to ask the brain trust at head-fi for clarity...

First, some numbers for reference:
AK 120 - output impedance @ 3.3 ohms
JH16 - impedance 18 ohms
My level of insanity - pretty high

Now here's my situation. I currently own an AK120, and have a pair of JH16s being built (only 3 weeks left!). I've never been able to wrap my head around the output impedance of amps, and how that impacts the impedance and power needs of a headphone/IEM. After initially trying to figure it out, I ended up just relegating myself to product reviews, and searching for impression people may have written up with the same gear I planed on buying. In doing this, I settle on a Schiit Lyr2 for my LCD-2/f and my Grado GS1000e. 

Now I'm jumping into the world of CIEMs and I'm vexed...

I'm torn between whether or not I should be fine with my AK120 paired directly with my JH16s, or if I should get them RWAKed, to lower the output impedance (something I don't particularly want to do) or get something like the Alo Rx to bring it down also. My "logic" in this is that I read somewhere that one should multiply the output impedance of your amp by 8 (to account for frequency fluctuations I assume?), and that that is the number your headphone impedance needs to stay above for optimum performance. For the AK120, that number is 26.4... That's higher then the 18 ohm impedance of the JH16. Do I have this right?

All that said, have I come down with a bad case of upgraditis? Am I using fuzzy math to rationalize the purchase of a new headphone amp or mod my AK120? Am I getting WAY ahead of myself in considering a new purchase before I even try the dang JH16s?! Probably... But such is the life of a fledgling head-fier. :wink:

Thanks for any help or comments! My big question here is, should I leave well enough alone, or would I benefit greatly from lowering that output impedance? And if so, which option would make most sense to y’all (they both cost about the same)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back