Aiwa XP-V716C
May 17, 2004 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stranger

New Head-Fier
I bought this pcdp new in 2000 and I'm satisfied with it, but I got curious about how it stacks up against the old classic pcdp's. Has anyone heard this player? I found the manual online and it says:
"maximum output:
12 mW + 12 mW (EIAJ 16 ohms @ 1kHz)
500 mV (47 k ohms @ 1 kHz)"
What do these numbers mean? I was under the impression that all the pcdp's nowadays put out little power compared to the early years. Is my Aiwa an exception to the rule or is maximum output different from plain old output? Obviously theres a lot more to sound quality than how many mW a pcdp puts out, but does a bigger number at least mean it will drive headphons louder? Oh, and did you know that Aiwa is owned by Sony? What's the deal with that?

May 19, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 14
Ok, no one has any experience with this Aiwa, but is 12 + 12 mW enough to sufficiently(IYO) drive a pair of low impedence full sized headphones like dt440's? Would it play music more than twice as loud as 5mW players?

May 20, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 14
wow 70 people have looked at this and no one has replied. even if you know nothing about what I'm asking, id still apreciate some kind of reply. what is your favorite pcdp with anti-skip? What is your favorite animal? What is your favorite pizza topping or something? Please, just say something so I dont feel like im being ignored!
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 14
My favorite pizza topping is pepperoni.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I have not heard of this particular AIWA model, and I have not heard of any of the classic Sony PCDP's talked about here. Can't help you in this department.

May 20, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stranger
wow 70 people have looked at this and no one has replied. even if you know nothing about what I'm asking, id still apreciate some kind of reply. what is your favorite pcdp with anti-skip? What is your favorite animal? What is your favorite pizza topping or something? Please, just say something so I dont feel like im being ignored!
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have insecurity issues? Feel the need for constant attention?
tongue.gif

Sorry, seems like no one knows (thus far)
2x12mw doesn't say much a lot of the time. You would think it is louder but sometimes/often(I don't know) not the case. There's nothing conclusive to say about it unless you heard and compared the PCDP you're talking about.

Where did you find that manual online? I'd like to know what output my aiwa has as it wasn't in the manual I got with it.

May 20, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I bought this pcdp new in 2000 and I'm satisfied with it, but I got curious about how it stacks up against the old classic pcdp's. Has anyone heard this player? I found the manual online and it says:
"maximum output:
12 mW + 12 mW (EIAJ 16 ohms @ 1kHz)
500 mV (47 k ohms @ 1 kHz)"

All I have to say is "don't drop it"!

I had one of those, I still have the remote kicking around in a drawer (need an extra?) But I dropped the player twice and it died.
frown.gif
I don't remember it as being anything special at all, but that was before I had any good headphones. I replaced it with a Rio Volt which has survived many more drops and still works.

May 20, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Do you have insecurity issues? Feel the need for constant attention?
tongue.gif

yes. and no, just more attention.
frown.gif
can you help me?
confused.gif

Quote:

Where did you find that manual online? I'd like to know what output my aiwa has as it wasn't in the manual I got with it.

try here:
http://pdf.aiwa.nl/instruction%20manuals/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
All I have to say is "don't drop it"!

Oops!
eek.gif
too late. i've dropped mine on concrete twice from almost a meter up, soaked it with water, and just generally abused it. i only had to fix the lid. it works fine. i guess i got lucky.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
(need an extra?)

thank you, but no. i never use mine.

May 20, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

yes. and no, just more attention.
frown.gif
can you help me?
confused.gif

I'm afraid I don't know how...
Just don't take anything personal when it doesn't come from family and close friends.

Quote:

Thanks, unfortunally that site says (c)2002. My player is not in the list as it newer.

May 20, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Thanks, unfortunally that site says (c)2002. My player is not in the list as it newer.

You could try the U.S. site. it seems to be down for me at the moment, but all you do is click on support at the top and then click on product manuals or something(i forget)

May 23, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 14
I owned the XP-V706C or the same model without the car kit. The older Aiwas are rebadged Panasonics. My favorite Aiwas were the 1999 XP-V50 (10 sec) and XP-V70 (40 sec). In my opinion the 1999 units sounded considerably better than the 2000 units, mainly because Aiwa started using parts that were significantly less power consuming (read: deficiently powered) than the 1999 units which had cleaner treble and better bass. Also, in 1999 the DSL bass boost function boosted the treble to compensate for the boosted bass. The 2000 models had a muddy bass boost function in comparison, which was consistent with Panasonic's 2000-2002 models. Anyways, I miss both of the units, since now I have a new Aiwa XP-EV501R, which is essentially a rebadged Sony.

Eric

May 23, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 14
My friend had a similar aiwa PCDP and I listened to it in less than optimal conditions. I remember it being decent, but nothing mind-boggling. I'm comparing this to my Denon DCP-150. I would go back and listen to her aiwa more, but it broke. But hey, if you're satisfied, why bother comparing? It'll only lead to more pain for your wallet.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Yeah, upgrade-itis is one condition I would avoid contracting if I were you. I sold a bunch of nice audio equipment to get crap I ended up hating. And what's really bad is all I'm left with from $2500 worth of spending is 2 Aiwa PCDP, 1 Sony PCDP. and a pair of Beyer DT231's. And I hate all of them. (I ordered a MINT though, so the Beyers might grow on me again, at least until I buy some HD555's in August.) Anyways have fun with this crazy hobby.

Eric

May 24, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

You could try the U.S. site. it seems to be down for me at the moment, but all you do is click on support at the top and then click on product manuals or something(i forget)

Oops, forgot to answer here.
redface.gif

I've got an European model and want to know what the output is. The American models do mostly have better output so the US site is no use to me unfortunately.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back