Aiwa HP-X222 Mini Review
Aug 10, 2002 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Trent

New Head-Fier
Due to the small amount of information on these cans I thought I'd give a small review on them before I return them to get some Koss KSC-50's.
cool.gif

I literally have nothing else to compare these to other than an old pair of Sony streetstyles and speakers that came with my computer, so keep that in mind.

First impression: being my first full size cans, these seemed big.
rolleyes.gif
The cord is very flexible and light and the gold-plated adapter looks nice as well. The main gimmick about these phones which I like the most is the mute button located near teh bottom of the left earcup. VERY convenient (although you must keep the button pressed down in order to have it muted)

Comfort
Like I said, I have never had any other full size cans, but out of the box, these things sqeeze your head bad. My head's not even that big and my brother commented that it hurt like a "head crush" (old wresling move). Even after a week of being stretched over some books (4 fairly decent sized books, btw) the pressure is loostened, but it still hurts. I can't have these on longer than 15 minutes without getting a headache or feeling relieved when I take them off.
frown.gif
Since it is summer, I must say that although my ears don't sweat, it gets ::really:: hot with these on. The cushion is made of pleather and the headband is made of flexible plastic. Being closed cans, I got them for isolation, but its kinda har to enjoy the music when your head's getting crushed.

Isolation
These cans have decent isolation. With music off, you can still hear conversation very well (as long as its not whispers). Like most headphones tho, you will hear people saying, "Why are you talking so loud!" when you have these on. With music on, the isolation is very good. I have had the vacuum cleaner going with these on and I can't even hear it (well, barely hear it). I also have these stupid little morse code communicator thingys (not mine, mind u
rolleyes.gif
) that produce a loud high frequency screech. While listening to any dramatic classical or rock, I cant even hear them (I put them right next to the earcup and I could barely hear it). It was pretty impressive because these little things are loud. I just push the button and I hear...nothing (but my family still can
tongue.gif
) Also, these cans leak more than I'd like. If you were to take these things to the library w/ u for example, keep it to decent levels. If you don't have them on your head for example, (say you just took them off), make sure the music is off cause these things are LOUD when they're not against something (head, books, whatever) although I suspect most closed cans to be the same.

Build
Made entirely of plastic except for metal in the "connecting bridge". Doesn't exactly look cheap but doesn't look expensive either. The plastic looks like it can take a few drops but I'd rather not test it
rolleyes.gif
The earcups swivel, but I see no use for his other than facing the cups downward to stand them up. I don't know how DJs would use this as when the earcup is turned around, the other side of it bulges into your head or whatever (I don't know how DJs use single side monitoring anyway
confused.gif
). The adjusting mechanism of these cans is very poor imo. The notches that the things rest in aren't very secure (very little pressure holds it in the notch or position that its in)

Sound
At first, these cans sound pretty good. Plugged out of my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, I always used to use the DFX plugin with Winamp with the Fidelity set to max. I was happy to say that the music sounded better with DFX off as it made it painfully bright. After burn-in, however s a different story. After about a week or burn-in, these cans lost that feeling. Now I have to turn DFX back on for it to sound decent
frown.gif
Soundwise, the only good thing these phones got going for them is bass. Its pretty good if you ask me, but I find it difficult to describe due to my lack of experience.
redface.gif
It improved very well with burn-in as well as the volume (these things are MUCH louder than they used to be when I first got them). These phones are also a bit echoey. Some people may see this as a good thing and others as bad. At first, I thought I had some of the effect settings on my Santa Cruz on, but nope. Also worthy of noting is that I find these lack in the highs. I was playing a particular classical song and was switching back and forth between my speakers (JBL Pro speakers w/ no model # that came w/ my computer) and the phones. My sister commented that compared to the speakers, it "kinda sounds like the radio." I must admit that there are more details in the music (not THAT much, but there are some more details), but its kinda difficult to enjoy the music. You hear the music, but it has no feeling (well, some music does, but most don't).
frown.gif

Price paid: $30

Is it worth it? If you're a basshead or never had any experience with better stuff maybe, but also check out the Philips 550 (I'm gonna save up for my portable instead), but for now, my speakers + DFX beat these hands down (EXCEPT for the fact that I don't have a sub so my bass sux), but I don't even really like bass anyway so I don't mind. I'm probably gonna return these to Best Buy and probably get some rechargable batteries and some Koss KSC-50's for my future ChromeX/SlimX instead.

Aug 11, 2002 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 2
Hiya Trent,

Thanks for the insightful review
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it'd be pretty good, if you could add to this review as and when (if possible), with a comparison against the KSC-50s...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back