aiso4all is DOING MY HEAD IN!!!!!!!
Nov 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

oldson

1000+ Head-Fier
my system consists of asus striker formula11 motherboard, with soundmax (integrated/add on) sound card. running xp pro.
i am using winamp with aiso4all. digital out.
some days i have no problems at all, and can listen for hours.
today, however, (for example) i am having trouble with playback, approximately 3 times per track. the sound stops for a moment and instead of the green "play" logo in the task bar i get a red "exclamation mark"
have played with settings, which seems to make no difference.
is my soundmax card or aiso software at fault?

could i get rid of this problem 100%, if i buy a soundcard with aiso "built-in"?
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could i get rid of this problem 100%, if i buy a soundcard with aiso "built-in"?
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Easy solution: Upgrade to Windows 7 and use WASAPI output in Winamp. Never had a problem with WASAPI but have seen plenty have issues with ASIO4All.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy solution: Upgrade to Windows 7 and use WASAPI output in Winamp. Never had a problem with WASAPI but have seen plenty have issues with ASIO4All.

easy apart from having to re=install everything!
this "wasapi" (i am not familiar with) does that give a "bit perfect" output??
cheers

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 17
since original post, i have restarted pc, and problem has cleared for now.
really want to get rid of this annoying problem once and for all.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 17
Yes, WASAPI is part of the completely rewritten audio framework for Vista and 7 (it doesn't have the issues that XP's does with resampling and such when not using bitperfect) and when running in exclusive mode it provides bitperfect output.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 17
thanks for the replies.
i better look at which version of W7 to get, now.
cheers

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 17
The Home Premium version is usually the way to go. 99% of the people that buy Ultimate don't even use the extra features that it has. They just buy it because it's called Ultimate.

This might help you.

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesfella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Home Premium version is usually the way to go. 99% of the people that buy Ultimate don't even use the extra features that it has. They just buy it because it's called Ultimate.

This might help you.

what about the version , pitched between those 2 (professional)?

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Unless you know what the additional features are in Professional and Ultimate, you don't care about them
tongue.gif
. (Just go with Home Premium)

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 17
There are various optimizations you can try.

First try upping the buffer in your ASIO driver to the maximum it allows. This is the number of samples that the driver buffers. A larger buffer means the driver isn't as realtime critical.

Try running the DPC Latency Checker. It will let you know if you have drivers or other system components that are causing too much latency. Too much latency will ASIO to glitch or even completely loose sync. The download page there explains more about the latency issues.

WASAPI in Vista and Windows 7 does work better than ASIO as far as being more tolerant and better behaved. Minimizing bad latency issues is still important though with WASAPI. If you have a driver or device that is illbehaved you are still going to have problems.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO changing to another OS seems to be a drastic measure to resolve just an audio issue, no offense

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wenhui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO changing to another OS seems to be a drastic measure to resolve just an audio issue, no offense

Not when XP is the only reason to be using ASIO to begin with, IMO.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 17
I would say no matter what driver you use, the onboard soundmax is very limited in what it will give you for sound quality. ASIO,WASAPI, or other drivers are mainly preferences. Have you considered getting a new interface, either internal soundcard or external DC/amp unit?

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say no matter what driver you use, the onboard soundmax is very limited in what it will give you for sound quality. ASIO,WASAPI, or other drivers are mainly preferences. Have you considered getting a new interface, either internal soundcard or external DC/amp unit?

only using soundmax as transport to my v-dac.
would happily upgrade if the problem was sure to be fixed.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Check the link I provided you with, It shows you exactly the difference between the versions. Home Premium is the way to go for almost everyone.

You'll be very happy with W7. XP is outdated, ugly and has a lack of a ton of awesome features that W7 and Vista have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back