Airport Security + Computer Hardware?
Dec 17, 2005 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone who travels frequently know if airport security will make a fuss if I decide to bring my external harddrive with me? It's in a black aluminum enclosure. I ask since I've heard of people getting their mini headphone amps confiscated... it would be nice if they would educate the security personnel so they could tell genuine electronic device from potential bomb or whatever.

Dec 17, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 6
i've brought several external HDs before without problems. hell, i've taken an entire computer before with me

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 6
The external enclosures are not a problem. The real issue with security is if it looks like something home-made vs commercial. I just took my bithead to canada for a couple days and security didn't even give it a second look. someone's altoid cmoy or unmarked plastic or hammond case though is going to arouse curiosity. It's just not worth risking in those cases. Honestly I don't blame them much, just look at it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 6
LOL

Here's what I've taken with me (hand carried) to over 20 cities in the past two months
icon10.gif
:

External 2.5" HDD / Cables
External DVD-RAM-RW Drive
Ruggedized Panasonic CF-73 Notebook
Video Surveillance Camera + tripod and power supply
IR Illuminator
Blue LED flashlight
Various pill vials
3G iPod / Hornet / All Chargers and ICs

Good luck!

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Anyone have any sucess in getting something like an unmarked Hammond, or one with an engraved front panel through security? I take it that my method of taping in batteries in order to secure them in my Pimeta won't go over too well with the guys in the X-ray booth.

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys. I made it through with no hassle. I took my laptop, charger, mouse, sennheisers, and external hd in my carry-on, and all I had to take out of the case was the laptop. But this was out of Cleveland... I have little doubt that if I flew out of Detroit I'd have been strip searched. I do despise Detroit's airport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back