Airport Express / Windows XP Multiple Networks Question
Aug 24, 2006 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it possible to have two networks set up on one computer running Windows XP? Here is my situation. I have a laptop wired via ethernet to a cable modem. The cable modem is near my desk and cannot easily be moved. I have a stereo in another room. I would like to send music from this laptop to an Apple Airport Express in that room.

In essence, I would need two networks for my one laptop. One to get to the internet via the cable modem, wired by ethernet. And another to get to the Airport Express in the other room, to send music wirelessly. The Airport Express would not be connected to any other network or broadband access. Is this possible?

Basically, I want to use an Airport Express to send music only while connecting to the internet via a wired cable modem.

I realize there are more ideal configurations or other products that may solve my problem better, but right now I'm only interested in whether the configuration I have with the products I own will work as I've described. Thanks!

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Just curious: Why don't you just have it all on one home LAN? Why the need for 2 distinct networks? You're adding complication, so I'm just wondering what the big benefit is...

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 5
This is entirely possible, by having 2 network cards in you laptop (Ethernet and WiFi) you have all you need. Windows will handle the communication behind the scenes. Just configure each adapter for the desired network. I assume you already have the Ethernet side done, if you configure your WiFi adapter to communicate with the AirPort, it should connect up and you should be good to go.

If you need the internet(Ethernet side) to access something on the wireless (WiFi) network or vice-versa, you will need to right click on one of your adapters under Network Connections and select Bridge Connections. This will effectively use your laptop as a router, joining the 2 networks.

Aug 25, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr
This is entirely possible, by having 2 network cards in you laptop (Ethernet and WiFi) you have all you need. Windows will handle the communication behind the scenes. Just configure each adapter for the desired network. I assume you already have the Ethernet side done, if you configure your WiFi adapter to communicate with the AirPort, it should connect up and you should be good to go.

If you need the internet(Ethernet side) to access something on the wireless (WiFi) network or vice-versa, you will need to right click on one of your adapters under Network Connections and select Bridge Connections. This will effectively use your laptop as a router, joining the 2 networks.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back