Airport Express Static / Popping on Digital Out Only
Feb 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gfabbri

New Head-Fier
Hi All-

I've crossposted with Apple's support forum, but I'm not holding my breath that they will be able to help, so I'm here for a little better guidance...

I finally got my mini-Toslink cable and have been testing the AE (latest version - 802.11n) with my Channel Islands VDA-1.

Through the digital out, I am hearing a static popping sound over the audio that is not present when using the analog output (and is not present when using the optical digital out from my Squeezebox into the same DAC).

Is static or popping a known issue with the AE, or is mine potentially defective?  Any hints or tips before I get really bummed out?

Anyone else have these issues with their AE / DAC Combo? (I saw another user running AE-->VDA-1 with great results...

Any ideas on how to solve this would be great!!!

Thanks,

Gian

SETUP:  iTunes (PC) --> wifi --> Router --> wifi --> AE --> 3.5mm - Toslink cable --> Channel Islands VDA-1 DAC --> Amp

P.S. 

So far, I have identified zero sources that don't pop when streamed through the AE:

iTunes: Pops
iPhone Music:  Pops
Squeezebox streaming to my phone and streamed via AirPlay to the AE:  Pops

mad.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the popping with the digital output of the latest Airport Express too. It only happens with some external DACs and not others though. I think it's because of a low quality clock in the Airport Express, which makes it hard for some S/PDIF receivers to lock on. For example, the Gungnir can lock on, but the "buy better source" light indicating high jitter lights up. The AE is the only source I have that causes that light to light up.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks Moon-Unit!

I just received a second AE to test, and it pops just like my first, so I've identified that the issues are not specific to an individual unit.

I'm curious as to which DACs have been successful (i.e. not popping) with the new AE?

Simultaneously, I've been looking at the Cambridge DAC Magic 100 and the Peachtree DAC-It -- any ideas whether these can handle the high-jitter signal?

I may just go back to my Squeezebox-CI Dac combo for more serious listening and keep the AE so the wife can stream her iPhone to it.  Definitely cheaper than adding a new DAC...

-G

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 4
There is a known issue with the digital jitter on the AE. This seems to come and go when they update the firmware. My dad has a new one and and old one and they both started cutting in and out in the last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back