Airport Express appreciation
Mar 8, 2009 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
So. I reading on my med this morning thinking to myself, "Wouldn't it be great if I could listen to music from my iTunes Library from all the way here." I did the whole extension cord thing for a bit, and then decided to go out for buy me an Airport Express. This thing is genius. An overpriced piece of genius, but still.

For large parts of the day since coming home, I've been in bed reading, headphones plugged into Airport Express, accessing my 10000+ tracks. I'm using my iPod Touch as a remote control for iTunes, and the user interface on the thing is brilliant. Sure, could be better, but it's great as is. What's more, is that I can charge my iPod (wifi sucks juice, etc) via the Airport! EEK!

Needless to say, I'm a happy Applegeek today. I did spent $65 though...

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 17
$65 overpriced for a WLAN base station, with the ability to hook up printers via USB and external DAC's via optical S/PDIF. Guess we think different there...
Its a great little unit though!
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 17
$65? Is that a used one? Around here, it's €89 new. €. That's $112 right now. And it's still a no-brainer. So easy, so versatile...

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 17
Aww, it can't charge my iPod, actually. Sadface. Ah well, I didn't think it could when I bought it. Oh well.

And yea, it was NZD129. The Apple site has it for over NZD200 though. It's supposed to be US$99, right? Woot for me.

About the USB port...isn't the "printer only" limitation a firmware issue? Wouldn't someone be able to write a hack to enable USB drives and other such peripherals to be plugged in (like Airport Extreme)? Just a thought.

@krmathis: It's overpriced given that the USB port isn't useful to me. And I already have a wireless router. Indeed, they come free with broadband subscription plans. So...it's $65 for a 3.5mm port.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 17
My Airport works great. I sit on my couch and use my touch as remote or directly from my laptop. I have mine connected via optical to my AV receiver. Great device!

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 17
Does anyone actually use this as a WLAN base station? I mean, then it'd had to live near my modem. And that's near my MacBook at home. I guess I could move my modem to my bedside (where I want to use the Airport), but then I wouldn't be able to carry it around with me to work and stuff. Cos then there'd be no internet at home, etc.

Speaking of which, what DAC can I use like this, krmathis?

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 17
Rockin out to tunes in the kitchen while cooking right now thanks to my Express....

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 17
The Express is a great piece of gear.
I Have a bunch of them scattered around the house doing wireless shared printer, itunes streaming to a stereo or headamp or connecting my PS3 to the wireless network.
Worth every penny!

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the Express join a WPA2 Enterprise network?

Don't think so!
At least its not an option in my AirPort Express' running software version 6.3

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 17
I have the WPA2 Enterprise option for security in my settings. Version 7.4.1

Not sure if anything else is required...

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 17
I see!
Guess the first generation AirPort Express (802.11g version), as I have, are more limited in function than the current one (802.11a/n version) as you have. Also explains why we have different software version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back