airport express/air tunes stalls?
Aug 31, 2004 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
those of you who are using Apple's airport express...have any of you had the following problem? when i use it to stream music from my powerbook to my stereo, it will often pause for a couple of seconds, then play again, then pause, etc. i've noticed that iTunes pauses when this occurs - the time counter pauses while the music is paused. often, the first few songs will play normally, then the pausing thing starts...

i'm using a g4 500 titanium powerbook with 756 mb ram...internal airport card (802.11b). i'm wondering if my 802.11b is not sufficient for wireless transmission...would i be better served with 802.11g?

any comments/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sep 1, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 9
I have had no problems and no stalling from my PBG4 1.33 GHz (802.11g) or from my iBook 300 (802.11b). 802.11b should have no problem sustaining the required stream.

Sep 1, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
those of you who are using Apple's airport express...have any of you had the following problem? when i use it to stream music from my powerbook to my stereo, it will often pause for a couple of seconds, then play again, then pause, etc.

Hm, what else is happening on your network? Are you surfing via 3mBit DSL at the same time? Multiple users? What about AirPort signal strength? Read a bit about it in Usenet, people said 4mBit would be a good real world number for 802.11b, taking away about 1mBit for music...

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Hm, what else is happening on your network? Are you surfing via 3mBit DSL at the same time? Multiple users? What about AirPort signal strength? Read a bit about it in Usenet, people said 4mBit would be a good real world number for 802.11b, taking away about 1mBit for music...

i have good signal strength...i have one other laptop on my wireless network...the air express is part of my air extreme setup...i'm up to date on the software updates.

i stream music from my bondi blue 233 imac to the air express (connected to my airport extreme via ethernet) and it works fine...it's just from my laptop...maybe the airport card update will do the trick.

Sep 2, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 9
are you in an apartment? maybe people are leeching.

also how are you connecting. Through a wireless router, or directly from laptop to airport express?

I ask because I had two laptops in the room using USR 8054, and I was sharing music from one computer to the other. It would stall all the time like you describe with the Airport Express.

EDIT sorry for the long edit, I accidently posted before I was done typing.

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Do you have this pausing problem if you are not using airtunes?
It could be an itunes/load issue. Might as well eliminate this before going after the wireless part... The link in the previous post looks like a good place to start once your are sure it is an airtunes issue. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a solution. Wireless doesn't work too well in my house - plaster walls with a metal grid lath - like living in a faraday cage with a few doors and windows.

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 9
I've had the same problem for a while. However, I have not the problem for at least a couple of weeks. I am using a compaq presario 1.6 ghz centrino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back