AirPods or Jaybird X4 ?
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 6
I hate to jump on other peoples threads with questions but I did not want to start a completely new thread for a question you are asking. I would just like to expand on it and ask for advice on any brand in comparison to the Airpod as I have zero experience with IEM aside from the one that came with my iPhone. Now that I have to replace them I would like to get something wireless so I can use them while in bed and not get tangled up in the wire if I fall asleep with them in. Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 6
I have a pair of AirPods. They aren't going to sound anything close to ZMF eikons, or HD 800s, or Andromedas...

But that's not the point. The main reason why you get AirPods is because you have an iPhone and you want a convenient way to listen to stuff, and that includes stuff not just audio, like podcasts and the like.

The AirPods have decent sound quality, with a pleasant warm tilt, and a good soundstage. It's not "audiophile level," with graininess and lacking detail and depth, but it's not bad (and do you really care about that with non-isolating iems anyways?). If you really want that "audiophile" sound quality and mostly listen to music, your money is better spent on IEMs -- I have an andromeda + es100 for that.

But the andromeda is a hassle to use: unwrap the tangled cable, turn on the es100, squish the comply tips and fit them in my ears... It takes less than a minute in total, but that's a long time when I want to get some quick listening while waiting for a bus, on a quick 10 minute walk to the grocery store, while making dinner, on a short subway ride with multiple transfers...

With the AirPods, I just take them out of the case and plug them in my ears. It takes 3 seconds: no wire to untangle, nothing to turn on, no earplugs to squish into your ears. No wire also means nothing against your close/getting tangled/causing microphonics; it's great for exercising. I find myself listening to music in more contexts where I wouldn't want the hassle of IEMs: while standing in short lines, waiting for my meal, brushing my teeth... It's just convenient.

I like to think of AirPods as really good quality portable speakers instead of IEMs, because they let you hear/be aware of your environment, yet have pretty good sound quality (soundstage in particular is great, as well as bass and tonal balance).

Essentially:

Don't get AirPods if you want:
  1. Better audio quality and isolation (get IEMs + a bluetooth amp/dac like the es100)
  2. Something that fits bigger ears (read: you use large ear-tips with your IEMs)
  3. To use an android phone (yeah... AirPods aren't going to work great with a non-iPhone, from what I've heard)
Get AirPods if you want:
  1. Great-sounding "portable speakers" that allow you to hear your environment while having good audio
  2. Something super convenient that allows you to listen to stuff in more contexts
  3. To not have to with cables, powering on, fitting ear tips

Hope this helps! Good luck with whatever choice you end up making :)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 6
If you are going for workout, get Jaybird X4 which has better ip rating. Could potentially last you longer.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 6
I've had the X2 and X3 and AirPods. I primarily used the Jaybirds for the gym and commuting; great for that. Much better isolation than the AirPods. Great battery life. That IP rating makes a difference: mine took a bath in the ocean while kayaking and kept on going. Super comfy with the Comply tips.

AirPods are fast, convenient, with passable audio quality.
The Jaybirds will be better in almost every other situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back