AirPlay to a wired Airport Express using digital out...
Mar 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

themouse

New Head-Fier

Setup 1 is a MacBook Pro playing networked lossless CD files from USB to a w4s DAC-2 to the pre-amp of my speaker system.

Setup 2 is the same computer using AirPlay to a wired Airport Express with optical digital out to a Bryston BDA-1 to the same pre-amp and system.

My question: Is AirPlay and an Ethernet network compromising the sound compared to direct USB out from the computer?

The files are all my own ripped 44.1 CDs.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 4
Is AirPlay and an Ethernet network compromising the sound compared to direct USB out from the computer?

No, the digital data sent to the Airport Express is 1:1 identical to what is being transfered via USB to a DAC connected locally to the computer.

Just because I’m curious: Why do you not connect wirelessly the MacBook to the Airport Express?

Werner.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for that. The w4s is really for the headphone setup but I can make it do double duty. My next question was going to be about impedance when both the balanced and RCA outputs are used; balanced to a DarkStar and RCA to a Mark Levinson preamp.

I live in Manhattan. Many Airport generations ago I would experience dropouts with wireless connection. I ran an Ethernet cable knowing that would fix it and it did. It's been that way ever since ("Turn wireless off").

Now with the latest gear I'm getting rock solid connection with the wireless AEx in a different room. But for peace of mind the wireless connection to the main stereo remains.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 4
[…] Now with the latest gear I'm getting rock solid connection with the wireless AEx in a different room. But for peace of mind the wireless connection to the main stereo remains.

Confirmed. There are three audio systems in my home, each one is fed wirelessly by Airport Express stations. Never had a drop-out as soon as all three Airport Express and two Airport Extreme stations were changed to 802.11n devices. The mixture of older Airport Express and newer Airport Extreme I used before sometimes caused short drop-outs.

Werner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back