Airplane phones and studying
Jul 15, 2004 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iriverdrownsipod

New Head-Fier
Hey again all! I will make this short and to the point, as I have to purchase these phones relatively quickly (I leave for a trip Saturday). I need phones that will do much better than my current earbuds at closing off or isolating sound so that I don't get fatigued or frustrated battling engine noise on the airplane (or whiny little babies for that matter).

My budget preferably would be under $100, but I can be budged up $30 or so. I am using an iRiver h120 as my source. I would prefer closed over-the-ear ones as opposed to canalphones, but need sound quality as the most important factor with isolation a close second.

Any recommendations?

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 10
You don't have much time to mail order anything. I think you are at the mercy of the retail store.

If you want to stop noisy children or whining babies or the guy ten chairs away from you blasting away his open headphone at 120 db because he can't hear his music over the engine noise, I recommend earcanal phones. The E2 might be your best bet because those can be found at some retail stores like guitar center.

The only full size closed headphones I can recommend under $100 are the sony V6.

Other solutions are the Sony EX-71 or the koss plugs. I would stay away from the koss plugs unless you want to get something now and pay more later for something better.

Jul 15, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 10
I would stay away from the Sony V6 because they provide so little isolation that you would barely tell a difference. A slightly more viable (perhaps too expensive) option would be the Sennheiser HD280s (but those are probably out of your budget range at most retail stores).

As mentioned earlier, Shure E2Cs and Sony 71SLs both provide a certain degree of isolation, and are probably your best bet in terms of overall listening experience (factoring engine noise and stuff...)

Otherwise, for some quiet sanity, you could always buy a few foam earplugs and stick them in your ears.

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 10
The Etymotic ER-6 is a good option, if you're a subscriber to the in-ear philosophy. K-Mart has 'em for $99 so you'd have a good return policy and an easy return if you're not pleased.

Good isolation, good for travel (small), great sound for the money.

Another vote for the Sennheiser HD 280 if you want a good, sealed setup. (Though not great for fitting in a bag.)

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Yup, the er-6 are the best for this ocation. It also happened to me, and until now, I love them (went through 8 airplanes and through all the time never heard a sound while I have them on). Though I would say you should learn how to put them in well, since at the beginning it is prettu darn difficult, afterwards you'll get the best out of them.

Jul 15, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 10
I've used both the Sony EX-70 and 71 in loud airplanes and the isolation wasn't great, I could still hear engine noise all the time. I'm fairly certain they were inserted properly.

Jul 15, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 10
It's a shame to spend $130 on a set of phones when you can get some used ER4's for ~$165.
etysmile.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 10
280s would be pretty good for the price - they're about the most isolating full sized cans i've tried (and i've tried a few). They should be under $100 at somewhere like guitar centre.

I didn't like E3s, the mids and highs were crap. I actually like the Sony EX71 much better, but the Shures give better isolation. Still, the EX71s are my pick of closed phones. I'd also consider ER-6i's (if they're available now).

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 10
As commando suggested, 280s would be available for that price range. You won't be completely isolated from engine noise, but it'll turn into a very low thrum that I have the feeling is mostly very low frequency bass that nothing else could block anyways. People talking will definitely be shut out.

OTOH, you don't have time for a burnin before then. The Shures might automatically be better just because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back