Airplane Listening
Apr 24, 2007 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TreAdidas

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone else find listening to headphones on a airplane intolerable due to the air pressure. Everything just sounds funky to me, no matter what I listen to it sounds like the music is being pumped through a pinhole. Not to mention I get an all out headache.

Am I weird or what? Do IEM's help this?

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 17
i don't find any problems w/ airplane listening. Sounds like your ear drums are functioning sub-optimally due to altered middle ear pressure in relationship to cabin pressure. One thing you can try is to ask for a glass of water and sip it slowly during takeoff 'n landing (when the cabin pressure is changing). It's not so much the water that helps but the movements resulting from the act of swallowing helps your middle ear equilibrate itself.
IEMs help in blockin out some external noise so you don't have to crank up the volume so much which wears you out over time as well. With IEMs though... because they create a tight seal just outside your ear drums, be sure to take them out, especially during descends so u can let the pressure in your middle ear equilize with the surrounding cabin pressure
hope u have a more pleasant flight next time =)

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 17
If you are over 18/21 depending on your locality have a beer instead.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Lol!!!
etysmile.gif
Wow, that may help I guess!?! But yes, IEMs help Biiiiig time.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 17
I tried out various noise canceling, but none seemed to work. The only earphones that I am comfortable wearing in an airplane is the Sensaphonics 2X-S. I'm assuming that any type of sealing IEM will work well, but my only first-hand experience is with the Sensa. I keep it on the whole time and it doesn't bother me the least bit, even with the changing altitudes. With your sensitive ears, you might need to let them breathe every once in a while, but at least you can hear the music much more clearly than any other type of ear or headphone since there is minimal air wave contact. It also helps that most of the ambient noises are sealed out (so you won't hear the engine or annoying messages from the captain). Might be a bit expensive for just using in airplanes, but I use it in all outdoor situations and it works great.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 17
IEM's go a very long ways towards improving the music listening environment on an airplane. The isolation is so good that most times I can't hear when there's a baby crying near where I am seated until I take my ety's out.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEM's go a very long ways towards improving the music listening environment on an airplane. The isolation is so good that most times I can't hear when there's a baby crying near where I am seated until I take my ety's out.

Yes... I always seem to be seated close to babys on long distance flights and IEM's is THE solution! Well, there might be more non socially accepted solutions but lets not go that way
blink.gif
Good isolated headphones like the Sennheiser hd25 or AKG81DJ might do the trick reasonbly good as well.

edit: and you might try to pressure equalise by blowing gently (=dont overdo it) with your nose pinched. I dont know how good that trick is if you're wearing IEMs though.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: and you might try to pressure equalise by blowing gently (=dont overdo it) with your nose pinched. I dont know how good that trick is if you're wearing IEMs though.

Works like a charm. I need to do it numerous times a day when commuting when listening with IEMs.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 17
yea, I have the same issue....whenever it's a long distance flight, there will no doubt be a baby in the near vicinity of my seat
mad.gif
one of the reasons that convinced me to pick up an IEM
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 17
Airplanes are horrible places. Hives of disease and noise... Some tips I have found from being a long distance traveller. Try to get on destination time the day before. Don't drink alcohol, it just dehydrates you. Get lots of water. Mints are good for take off and landing. If your ears hurt, practice trying to blow air out of them (keep your mouth closed) until you can equalise the pressure.

In the end, when you are tired, nothing can save you. I can wear IEMs for only so long on a plane. Best to try and sleep anyway.

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 17
On my last flight in the summer I used KSC-75s on the airplane. They were a noisy nightmare and when I look back on it, I blundered severely.

IEMs are probably peerless in the air cabin environment.

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs are probably peerless in the air cabin environment.

Yep. Especially with customs or tri-flanged Ety's, you can't get any more isolated than that.

UE's IEM's, on the other hand... not so much isolation.

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

And not just a beer....several!

Best suggestion on here in a long time!

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good isolated headphones like the Sennheiser hd25 or AKG81DJ might do the trick reasonbly good as well.

I use the 81DJs on planes and they are all right forward of the engines. When I inquired, the consensus of a few was that the HD25 isolates better than the 81DJs. I have not done an isolation comparison between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back