Airplane charger for laptop?
Oct 26, 2009 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wonder if anyone here uses any charger on the plane?
I'm thinking of getting one for my HP laptop to use during the flight. Still not sure if the charger will work with all airplanes
confused_face.gif
The one I'm looking at is ~120$ which is crazily expensive for a mere charger. Is there any cheaper alternative?

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 4
well, you can get a power supply that's airline compatible, however airline power regulations prohibit the use of the power ports to charge the device--you can only use it to power them.

I have these for some HP nc series workstation laptops and the charger explicitly states the charging function is not to be used on aircraft.

The dual mode chargers are always more expensive...i've always found it to be cheaper to just buy a second battery. Very few planes have power ports for all seats...those that do typically have them only in first/business class or only in particular rows. It's still fairly uncommon.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, I don't mind if it charges my laptop or not. All I need is to keep my laptop running during the flight. My international flights are normally very long (>24 hours) so even a backup battery is not enough
redface.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 4
Have a look at the iGo universal chargers available at Radio Shack. They have adapters for the proprietary IATA DC power connector. You might check with your airline - if it uses standard AC power connectors, you could just use your regular charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back