Airline Tickets - Could someone give me some pointers?
Jun 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sambones

500+ Head-Fier
I'm new to this, and I'm gonna need to buy some tickets to be at my bro's wedding on August 6th, and I want to be there with enough time to spend with my family and visit some friends.

What's a good way to go about it -- when's a good time to purchase the tickets? What's a good airline? Are the airline search engines worth using? Are there any public knowledge coupon codes?

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 19
I imagine there is a good time to purchase tickets, and hopefully someone intimate with flying (business persons) will chime in, but don't wait till the last second like I seem to do and you'll have more choices. 

One thing I find important when deciding on flights is of course lay-overs, non-stop flights are generally more expensive but at least you don't have the hassle of 'catching' additional planes (especially when your second plane is at the opposite end of the terminal 1 mile away and you have to run).

*Also, beware, websites will let you book flights that make it impossible to catch the next hop as the second plane takes off before the first will land. Crazy I know. Make sure you investigate the time between planes to make sure you have adequate time to board the next plane. And of course (in the USA anyway) arrive well before boarding is called so you have time to go through security and the lines to pick up tickets/check baggage. I used to arrive an hour or an hour and a half before departure but it's probably 2 hours or so by now.

A good airline is not Delta... ;P

There's a website called Kayak.com that searches many if not all of the airline sources (expedia, orbitz, as well as airline sites themselves) and is quite useful.

Not sure about your last question, sorry.

About to fly across the little pond again myself, drat awful flight.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 19
I think I used orbitz the last time I flew across the country. The key is doing proper research using different search engines, airlines, etc. Also one thing you should be sure is that there is proper time to get to your connecting flight if you have more than one plane on your trip. The best thing really is not to order last minute as that is when they are most expensive. Also direct flight is typically more expensive and many times the cheapest tickets are when the fight times are ridiculously early. I remember getting a really cheap ticket to Oklahoma for a wedding and the first flight was at 6am.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 19
Do not wait until the last minute. If you know right now, what date you need to leave, then now is a good time to start looking at a ticket. I had to book an emergency flight to India a couple of years back and I booked the flight about 24 hrs before I flew out. A ticket that I probably could have got for about $1600 if this was a planned trip and I had booked ahead ended up costing me closer to $2500.

The only thing you are missing out on by booking a flight this early is that between now and then, there may be an incentive offer that comes along (book for 25% less for one week only or stuff like that). But in my experience, its really not worth it to wait and hope for offers like this.

The key is to come up with a route on one search engine (say hotwire.com) and then seeing if you can better the cost on another search engine (like orbitz.com which is my favorite, expedia.com or Price Line Negotiator). Sometimes you'll find one route offered by 2 search engines for roughly the same price, and then a third will undercut it by some amount because it searches through a couple of other routes and carriers.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 19
I'm a huge fan of expedia, when it comes to the travel sites.  also remember to check Southwest Airlines - theyre super cheap! 

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 19
Good luck.  Airline price control is a field of economic theory unto itself.  Nobody really knows how it works except the people who do it.

If you want a good deal on airfare, you have 3 realistic options:
1) Fly a lot on expensive full-fare tickets when someone else is paying.  Save up frequent flier reward miles.  Spend the miles on free tickets for yourself/family/friends.
2) Be willing to take unpopular flights.  These are often last-minute bookings, undesirable flight times, long layovers, alternative airports, or boring destinations where airlines park their planes for the night.  Or all of the above.
3) Be a ruthless internet shopping whore.  Use a website like Kayak.com (plus Southwest.com and other discount sites directly).  Buy the cheapest flight you can find, don't look back.  Priceline can result in some good deals, or you could be scammed into a very undesirable time vs. money tradeoff.  A friend booked airfare with Priceline for a weekend wedding and ended up getting overnight layovers on both ends...which would have missed the wedding AND put him back late for work.  Ended up eating that airfare and buying a "real" one.  But I've also scored some deals on Priceline when I had the freedom to be flexible.

I have a friend who dated a pilot, and therefore was able to fly for free whenever there were empty seats on a flight.  Good perk, she had a lot of fun weekends around the world.  Might as well date someone filthy rich though, and benefit from free money/everything rather than just flights. 
evil_smiley.gif

You can often book an unpopular flight time, and then arrive hours early at the airport and see if there are any standby seats available on earlier flights.  Often, this will get you travel on the more desirable flight for the price of the cheaper flight...but there is a clear risk of wasted time, and it isn't worth it, to me.  Plus, if you are asking about airfare, chances are you aren't experienced enough to be comfortable navigating/negotiating to actually get a good standby seat yet.

Pretty much all airlines in the USA are safe to fly, due to heavy federal regulation.  However, I've been caught (for example, my honeymoon) when reputable airlines filed bankruptcy and actually went under, after I bought the ticket but before my travel dates.  So buy with a good credit card, and this risk is more or less mitigated.  Airfare might seem expensive, but USA-based airlines operate flights surprisingly close to the cost of the flights themselves.  A $300 ticket to fly halfway across the country in 3 hours is a pretty awesome deal when the jet fuel costs half that...plus pilots, airports, etc.  If you adjust for inflation, airfare is actually one of the few purchases that modern Americans "win" on relative to cost in previous generations (along with automobiles, strangely).

Also, consider the TOTAL cost of flying.  You must arrive an hour or maybe 1.5 hours early to get bags checked (if necessary) and through security.  Then there might be layovers.  Each airport you experience carries a surcharge and security fees.  There are potentially taxi rides or parking fees at source and destination locations.  Airports like Chicago O'Hare might SEEM cheaper, on the basis of basic ticket fare...but the time and money cost of getting yourself through that airport is often higher than alternatives, especially when you factor in the risk of bad weather and the sure-fire runway delays that follow.

*Soapbox*  The environmentally-conscious thing to do is not fly.  Airplane travel is probably the single worst thing a person does to negatively impact the environment today.  Carpool, take a train, etc.  I realize sometimes time/convenience make flying the only realistic option, but wanted to put it out there.  */soapbox*

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 19
I flew for the first time in a couple years recently.  I booked 6 weeks in advance on southwest.com and flew from New Orleans to Phoenix round trip for under $300.  You're lucky to know the exact date about two months ahead.  Start looking to book your flight now.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 19
If you're pretty flexible on dates, flight times, layovers, etc. you can use tools like Kayak.com to search for prices +/- 3 days of your preferred departure and return dates.  However, the remainder of this method works whether you're flexible or not.  Choose the itinerary that's cheapest (which generally involves taking off Tuesday through Thursday, both on the ways there and back), halve the cost of it and use that as your starting point in bidding for flights on Priceline.  Increment this amount up $50 every time your bid gets rejected.  If it gets to the point that the price differential is close enough to just booking directly through whatever link Kayak gives you, just do that; otherwise, you might save yourself some dough.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 19
In general, I would say that's true.  A major reason for this, I suspect, is that many business travelers (e.g., nearly all management consultants) fly out on Monday morning -- so demand is much higher (and, therefore, so are ticket prices) for that day.

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 19
My bro told me about this site. Is it worth using and/or reliable? $69 for one way is awesome, and *2 is still cheaper than most of the round trips I was looking at. However, looking ahead, it listed the round trip as $270ish. Is that due to time, or is the deal just for immediate departures?

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 19
If you are a student you can get some great deals.  I do quite a bit of flying, and I find that Student Universe has some of the best deals available for my flights.  You have to be able to prove you are a student, but the money saved is pretty great!

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
My bro told me about this site. Is it worth using and/or reliable? $69 for one way is awesome, and *2 is still cheaper than most of the round trips I was looking at. However, looking ahead, it listed the round trip as $270ish. Is that due to time, or is the deal just for immediate departures?

AirtranU is legit, and I love flying Airtran...with the caveat that it is difficult to get direct flights on Airtran.  If you're laying over anyway, or don't mind the layover, go for it.  They offer special pricing because you must be a qualifying student to book those fares, and I believe it is just a standby program.  So you get a ticket to fly...but no seat is set aside for you on any particular flight.  If you are planning to fly busy times, you will probably get 'bumped' to a later flight, which can be annoying.  But chances are good that there are empty seats on your desired flights, so you get a great deal.  If you're flexible, do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back